Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 23rd, 2008 20:00

Reinstalling Xp Home Edition Question

I am a long time customer of Dell with two computers. Both of them are desktops. One is a deminsion and the other is an inspiron. I recently went into business as a computer technician. One of my first clients has a laptop. It was purchased a few years ago and runs windows xp home edition. It needs to be reformatted but he has lost his recovery disks. I did some reading in the forums and I read about certain programs that dell has built into recovery partitions for operating system reinstallations. However, I looked at advanced boot options while booting windows and i looked at the patitions on boh of my machines and i can not locate the software. I do not need it as i have my recovery disks but do you think that a laptop sold a few years ago with xp home edition, a processor clocked at about 1.8ghz and 128 or 256 mb of ram would contain the software? If not, what information do i need from him to order recovery disks for him?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

armednuke

See if this can help.

You could also, use a Dell OEM reinstallation disc, that's the same version that was factory installed on the laptop.

Dell's PC Restore by Symantec utility is installed on Inspiron and Dimension systems shipped on/after 7.16.04.
This restores the computer to it's Factory Settings.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

12.7K Posts

Some Dell laptops did not ship with restore partitions, if it did using   Ctrl + F11 at boot will get you to the restore function.

If the system was ever repaired using the "fixmbr" command or was reinstalled using the CD, the restore function will be broken if it had it.

If it does have the restore partition, the disk will have 3 or 4 partitions, not 2, unless someone deleted one or more of them in the past.

If it has the restore partition but has been "broken" as stated above see this for information on repairing the mbr to restore the function. The restore partition has to be intact for this to work, if the partition was deleted or never present this article will do no good.

http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/

Message Edited by mombodog on 07-23-2008 04:47 PM

2 Posts

July 23rd, 2008 21:00

thanks for the info. I might have to use that form for the recovery disks. my old computer was purchased in 03 and my inspiron was shipped with vista so thats why i don't have the partition. The article about the partition was very interesting. I did not know dell wrote their own mbr. If the partition was ever there i may have to repair the mbr because it has been reformatted at the "computer place" multiple times....the only thing that gets me is that they never required the recovery disks......makes me wonder if they didn't use PC restore
Message Edited by armednuke on 07-23-2008 05:31 PM
No Events found!