Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 17th, 2009 23:00

Reloading OS on Dell 8100

Hello,

I just had my memory increased and a few other things to "upgrade" my Dell Dimension 8100.  Little did I know how much that would all cost.  If so, would have bought a new system.

Yes, then I made another bad judgment error after being very unhappy with first PC tech.  When I got my computer back, I had a tech out installing a router, etc.  He looked at my Dell system and said it totally had to be wiped out and restarted, so there goes my 400.00 down the drain.  Anyway, I don't know what he used, but  now my system is running horribly.  Now that I've invested so much money (and time) in the system, I can't afford to just buy a new one. 

So, I just want/need to reinstall the operating system, using the correct method.  It originally came with ME and I used the XP upgrade CD along time ago.  Since then, my hardrive had to be replaced back in 2005.  But, it still had the Dell solutions on it.  Now it doesn't have any of that.

Can someone please help guide me through the process and provide any tips/tricks?  I am desperate.

Thank you.

157 Posts

June 18th, 2009 02:00

Presumeably you can save any data 1st. Then you need to boot from your ME cd and format and install os, then upgrade to Xp. I'm not sure on that but you may be able to bypass the ME cd and go straight to XP (and it may just ask for ME key).

3.7K Posts

June 18th, 2009 02:00

Hi DW8100, You can download your guide to the 8100 HERE and go to page 35. It may take an minutec or too, to load because it is an pdf document. If you dont have a reader, then I would recommend Foxit HERE.  But the setup is no different to XP see HERE.

4 Posts

June 18th, 2009 04:00

Thank you for the replies I have received so far.  I wasn't sure if I was going to get any.

I noticed on another post that you can request backup CD's

https://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form.  Would this be helpful?  I don't like the thought of installing the ME software, then the XP Upgrade software.

Also, the tech had partitioned my hard drive (so now I have 2 drives C: and D:).  Will I need to reformat my hard drive, or can I just load on the drive the partitioned drive c:?

3.7K Posts

June 18th, 2009 04:00

https://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form.  Would this be helpful?  I don't like the thought of installing the ME software, then the XP Upgrade software.

Hi DW8100, Normally Dell will only issue you with disc's for the operating system supplied with the system, but no harm in asking.

Also, the tech had partitioned my hard drive (so now I have 2 drives C: and D:).  Will I need to reformat my hard drive, or can I just load on the drive the partitioned drive c:?

As for your partitioned drives, you can install your operating system in C, and store any data in D, or duel boot. Or you can remove that D partition when you go to reinstall your OP.

4 Posts

June 23rd, 2009 00:00

I have had it with Dell support and will not buy another PC from them again.  After being promised XP install discs twice (both times including supervisors), I am still without discs.  Was told both dispatches were cancelled because my system was not shipped with XP, just the upgrade, and that I had to order. Fine..figured I order then contact Customer Relations..  However, when I called sales, they say they no longer sell that part (MW733) and that I need to go back to Tech support.  I have spent over 6 hours on the phone with them trying to get this resolved.  This is totally ridiculous and a terrible way of doing business.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I can do next?  Will I have to install ME, then do the XP upgrade?  I don't even know where to begin.  Do I just format the C drive?  Then what?  I want to remove the partition that the other tech put in as well. 

Thanks in advance for your help.

So, now I am back at square one.  Not knowing how to install the CD's.  Looks like I'll have to start with ME, then put the XP upgrade. 

No Events found!