Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 18th, 2016 13:00

Remove Multiple Recovery Partition in Windows 10

Hi guys,

I just wondering is it good to remove those recovery partitions as indicated below ? (especially the 12.98GB one)

I am not sure what's inside this partition but I am assuming it could be a recovery image for Windows 8, because my laptop was running Windows 8 since I bought it in November 2013 but then I transferred all the data from the original HDD that comes with the laptop into a new SSD in December 2015, and since that day those partitions start appearing there.

I tried to perform a clean install Windows 10 on my laptop, but those partitions are still sitting there. Will my operating system fail/crash if I decided to remove them ? will I still be able to perform a full reset or clean install on Windows 10 if they are not exist anymore ?

My laptop model: Dell Inspiron 15 7537 (2013 mid)

Thank you!

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 18th, 2016 16:00

You should perform a clean installation of Windows 10 RS1 and delete all partitions during installation. See here for details:

This system needs its UEFI BIOS updated to the latest version before carrying out a clean install of Windows 10. You can clean install Windows 8.1 following the instructions here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/ 

See video 4 and 5:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1RkaknDn7v-Ucth4gt0U3BHVSY7oNkWr 

12 Posts

September 18th, 2016 16:00

Thanks for help! so I should not remove them directly from Disk Management, am I correct ?

17 Posts

September 23rd, 2016 02:00

Every time when you upgrade Windows to the next version, the upgrade program will create a recovery partition if it detects that there is no sufficient space on your recovery partition (GPT disk) or system reserved partition (MBR disk). There is no wonder that you have many recovery partitions after upgrading to Windows 10. As for how to delete those partitions safely, you can read this tutorial and hope it's helpful to you.

No Events found!