Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 24th, 2009 12:00

Restore Inspiron 910 to factory settings

I have recently bought a Dell Inspiron mini 910 but it didn't have a system disc. I would like to restore the laptop to it's factory settings. Can you help point me in the right direction please.

1 Message

September 3rd, 2014 10:00

I am having a similar problem.  I was recently given (by my inlaws) a Dell Inspirion 910 for my children to use for school.  I cannot get the darn thing up and running!  When I turn on the computer it gives me 2 Windows XP boot choices.  They look identical, though if I choose the top one the computer boots up, but if I choose the 2nd one I get an error message.  I can't figure out how to remove this broken version of the operating system.

Then when I get the thing on and to the main screen I get a popup for Microsoft Security Essentials talking about the end-of-support for my operating system.  After this the computer seems to freeze up most of the time.  When it does continue to work it takes a few minutes to process each command.  

I just want to restore the whole computer to factory settings and start fresh, but I dont know how.  I tried to run WINNT32.exe but the computer said it could not find it.  Help?!?

3.7K Posts

October 24th, 2009 14:00

I have recently bought a Dell Inspiron mini 910 but it didn't have a system disc. I would like to restore the laptop to it's factory settings. Can you help point me in the right direction please.

Hi, You can order one from HERE, if dell know your the new owner of the system, and you live in the US..

October 25th, 2009 14:00

Unfortunately I don't live in the USA.

1 Message

May 12th, 2010 14:00

I recently bought a dell inspiron mini 910, but it didn't have a system disc.  I would like to restore the laptop to its factory setting, please provide directions.

Thank you

1K Posts

May 12th, 2010 15:00

Oldhippy and Korey12.

I suppose that the mini 910 has PC Restore by Dell and you are using XP. When booting the system, after the Dell Logo appears, look for a blue bar at the top of the screen with www.DeLL.com written in it and underneath it shows "Loading PBR Descriptor 2 done". When this bar shows, you only have a second to press Ctrl+F11 to activate PC Restore. Have in mind that if in any way you have touched the HDD or altered the HDD or reinstall the OS, the Dell MBR or the partition will not be there and PC Restore will not engage.

Follow this instructions, step two:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/document?c=us&cs=19&docid=347576&l=en&s=dhs

Hope it helps.

1 Message

July 5th, 2011 05:00

Oldhippy and Korey12. SAYS~:

I suppose that the mini 910 has PC Restore by Dell and you are using XP. When booting the system, after the Dell Logo appears, look for a blue bar at the top of the screen with www.DeLL.com written in it and underneath it shows "Loading PBR Descriptor 2 done". When this bar shows, you only have a second to press Ctrl+F11 to activate PC Restore. Have in mind that if in any way you have touched the HDD or altered the HDD or reinstall the OS, the Dell MBR or the partition will not be there and PC Restore will not engage.

Follow this instructions, step two:

support.dell.com/.../document

Hope it helps.

Basically No it does not help as the Dell Mini does not have an F11 Key they only go up to F10 !

2 Posts

February 26th, 2012 10:00

pretty much your only option is to purchase an optical drive (cd drive) and manually reinstall windows with a reinstall cd that usually comes with your computer, but drivers etc installed by the factory will be lost unless you have a cd for that too.  I am pretty sure the inspiron 910 did not come with a reinstall/start up disk.  Dells oh so helpful website says the only OTHER option is to send it in for repair and if you are like me and bought this in 2009 without any kind of extended warranty it will probably cost you more to do that than buy an external cd drive.  

good luck.

2 Posts

February 26th, 2012 11:00

I just found out you can access a copy of the reinstall disk on your hard drive by searching for winnt32.exe. If you run that program you can reinstall windows, but you need your product key, which should be on the bottom of the computer.  i dont know if this will also reinstall drivers installed at the factory etc.

1 Message

July 10th, 2012 05:00

This worked perfect for me. Found the WINNT32.EXE file clicked on it & it reinstalled the operating system again, it took nearly an hour to do it but it was worth  it. Thanks musoka03

1 Message

August 16th, 2013 17:00

hi please help me

1.5K Posts

August 16th, 2013 18:00

Hi nanakay,

Please share the system model and the operating system installed. Also, please share if you are trying to reset the system back to factory defaults or whether you are trying to a clean installation of the Windows using re-installation media.

Reply with the information, will take it further from there.

1 Message

February 22nd, 2015 02:00

Password

February 4th, 2020 13:00

I need help resetting my laptop too 

1 Message

January 3rd, 2021 16:00

My Inspiron 910 does not have an F11 key. Suggestions??

No Events found!