Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 26th, 2010 09:00

Restore Windows 7 OS Only...

Hello, I just ordered a Studio XPS 7100 and the first thing I do with all my dell computers is wipe the drive and reinstall the OS only to get rid of all the Dell bloatware.  It's coming with DataSafe Local Backup 2.0.  So far, from what I've found, the recovery choices are limited.  My question is... Is it possable to reinstall only the Windows 7 OS using the DataSafe Local Backup???  Sorry for the dual post.

Thanks in advance,

Rich

• 

16.7K Posts

August 26th, 2010 09:00

rochrh,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

That  is not an option with DSL. The DSL program creates the image of the entire WIM so restoring only OS is not a option. DSL will restore OS + Apps + Drivers.

4 Posts

August 26th, 2010 10:00

Thank you Jesse, Although, not what I wanted to here.  If I send for the backup disks, do you know if the OS would be broken out on them???

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1

If not, is there anyway to get my system to a virgin OS state without buying a new coupy of windows?

881 Posts

August 26th, 2010 19:00

Hi Rich - I don't know how long it's been since you ordered a new Dell..... But they have really cut down on the semi-useless software. If you wipe the HDD and clean instaal the OS you will also lose the restore partition which can really be handy to return the system to a "factory state." Just something to consider.

Jeff :emotion-22:

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

August 26th, 2010 20:00

I bought an Inspiron laptop in February and was pleasantly surprised to find that there wasn't a lot of junk installed.  I just uninstalled the AV trial and the Office trial, and I was off and running.

4 Posts

August 27th, 2010 06:00

Thanks Jeff, Flash,

Yes, it has been a while since I bought a Dell for home.  I’m encouraged to hear they have limited the bloat, it used to be ugly.  I’ll have a look before I decide to wipe it.  Thanks again, Rich

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 27th, 2010 14:00

HERE is a program that will allow you to remove anything you want from the new PC.  But, as others have mentioned the garbage has been cut way down on new PC's.  You can also download  "Revo Uninstaller" and use it to uninstall anything you don't want, as the Revo program will also search for left over files and registry entries and allow you to delete them.  It's much better than the built in Windows uninstall program.  I use the freeware version of Revo Uninstaller.

You could also do what others have done, install a new hard drive and install what you want on that.  Set the Dell drive aside in case you decide you want the Dell disk image or if you wanted to sell the PC you can reinstall the Dell drive.

No Events found!