Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 24th, 2004 01:00

Restoring Corrupted File on 98 SE

I have a Dell Dimension 4100 with Windows 98 SE. I have been having crashes with Fatal OE Exceptions and General Protection Faults and am trying to do some self-diagnosis. When using System File Checker I got a message that I have a corrupt file reg32.dll C:\Windows\system. It says I should restore this file from my installation disks. I don't have a clue what to do. I have the Product Recovery CD. Is that the installation disk? If I load the Product Recovery CD will I be able to locate reg32.dll? Is this something a novice should try?

Thanks for any help.
Joy

18.8K Posts

March 24th, 2004 03:00

Hillhopper,

Go to Start|Run, type SFC and click OK. Tell System File Checker to extract one file (reg32.dll) from the installation disk (your Windows 98 reinstallation CD) and install it in C:\Windows\System. When the next dialog opens point the extraction utility at the win98 folder on the reinstallation CD.

102 Posts

March 24th, 2004 03:00

Joy

I have a Win98SE program on one of my computers but can not find the file you mentioned. I also searched the WIN 98SE installation disk and it does not list this file. It is possible that another program that was installed after the initial OS requires this file. It is a Microsoft file. I researched it on Google and you can download it from http://www.dynamiclink.nl/frames/dllindex.htm. When you reach the site double click the "The DLL files R" listing to download. You can save it in the "my document folder" and drag & drop it to the required C:/windows/system folder. This is not a complex operation. Come back if you need help.

Del   Cheers

19 Posts

March 24th, 2004 13:00

The two responses I received were extremely helpful. Between them I was able to find and restore five corrupt files (and I'm a computer dummy). One bad file was restored from my scanner installation disc and the others I found from the DLL website.

Now I know where to come for help. Thanks.
Joy

18.8K Posts

March 25th, 2004 03:00

delta dart,

Reg32.dll is on the Windows 98 CD in the driver12.cab file (which is a compressed file and does not display its contents unless you unzip it). Since it is in a driver file I assume it is associated with the driver for a piece of equipment that is not on your sytsem (nor on mine, since I don't have it installed either). A useful site for checking on Microsoft .dll files is here. You can enter the filename of any .dll (including the ".dll" in the name) and if it is Microsoft file the site will display information about all the versions of the file that exist, what operating systems they appear in, their size, and their location on the operating system CD.

102 Posts

Joy

I am glad you have solved your problem. I am sure Denny's solution was the correct one. He is a very sharp guy. If he offers an answer to your problems you can rest assured they are the right ones. He has helped me several times on this forum, and it has always been with the correct response. I don't know why the reg32.dll file does not show during a file search of the installation disk or why it is not present on my Win98SE computer. Maby if Denny returns to this post again he can explain it to both of us. I would lke to know to know the answer.

Del

1.4K Posts

I have that DLL on my 98SE. I presume it's for the HP3300 scanjet that I once had :

http://www.scanner-drivers.com/drivers/34/34182.htm

102 Posts

March 25th, 2004 04:00

Thanks Denny. As usual your info is highly informative annd useful. You have answered all my questions. I appreciate your reply.

Delta Dart

No Events found!