Highlighted
blublood1
1 Copper

Restoring OS files on an Insperion 530 (XP)

1. We have an Insperion 530 with Windows XP SP3. The machine won't boot and gives 'load needed DLLs for HAL' error msg. We tried to start it with the recovery CD, and got to the C:\WINDOWS prompt. We tried to replace the HAL.DLL file with the command 'expand d:\i386\hal.dl_  c:\windows\system32'. The PC comes back with 'no CD in drive'. I assume the CD drive works correctly considering it booted up from the CD. On another PC, I can find the HAL.DL_ file on the CD and when I run the expand program on this PC it appears to run OK (although it ends with an error because this machine has another OS). Any suggestions on replacing this file? Also, is it possible to reinstall the OS without losing the data on the drive?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
7- Thorium

Re: Restoring OS files on an Insperion 530 (XP)

Best option would be to run a "Repair".  Boot with the Windows XP CD and instead of installing, select the "Repair" option.  Files that are corrupted or missing will be reinstalled.  You won't lose any data with this method. 

How to run Repair

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos