Highlighted
benjamin1980
1 Copper

Restoring factory settings on Vostro 1700

Can anybody help?

I have a Dell Vostro 1700 which came with Windows Vista. The CD/DVD drive has not been working for a while & unfortunately I have had problems with the operating system. I need to restore the laptop to factory settings without using the CD. I'm currently getting error messages and the laptop will not boot. 

I have followed the instructions that are in the operating manual and they all talk about the option to 'repair your laptop' which is within the advanced Boot menu (F8). When I access the Advanced Boot menu - everything else is there but there is definitely not the option to 'repair my laptop'. Online searches have talked about hitting F11 or CTRL & F11 to access the system restore option but all to no avail. 

Any ideas.

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
7- Thorium

Re: Restoring factory settings on Vostro 1700

If your system came with Vista and you have not changed the Operating System, and/or the Dell recovery partition on the hard drive was not deleted then the F8 at POST should access the Dell PC Restore.   

If the Recovery Parttion is missing/corrupted your only option is to reinstall with discs. If the internal drive is bad, a USB connected drive should work and allow you to install from that.  If you don't have an external drive the only other option is fix (replace) the internat drive.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
benjamin1980
1 Copper

Re: Restoring factory settings on Vostro 1700

Ok, I've replaced the Internal CD drive & now I'm having problems booting from the recovery disk. 

I'm getting to the F12 boot menu, selecting boot from disk. Its then saying press any key to boot from disk which I have done. Then the screen goes black or it begins looping the dell start up screen, periodically asking me again to press any key to boot from disk. 

0 Kudos