Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

September 20th, 2009 02:00

Restoring my DELL XPS 410 to "factory settings"

So I went through the guide to restore to "factory settings" by pressing then and letting go at the same time during the DELL splash logo, apparently im supposed to start up the restore page but unfortunately i dont. Nothing happens it just boots my comp up. I also tried to do the manual software restore with the 3 discs i have(OPERATING SYSTEM, APPLICATION, and DRIVERS & UTILITIES) but nothing happened.

I was wondering if you could possible give me the "right" way of restoring my DELL XPS 410 back to the way as if i just bought it.

Thanks,

Kevin Zielinski.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 20th, 2009 04:00

If the PC came with XP then the CTRL/F11 is applicable.  If it came with Vista it's F8.  If the Dell Recovery Partition was deleted it won't be there or if you upgraded from XP to Vista it is no longer valid. 

HERE is the Dell instructions on either the Recovery or Manual reinstall (ignore the heading about the PC model).

3 Posts

September 20th, 2009 16:00

okay ive tried the manual  reinstall but  after it did that all  i got some errors but continued. After it finished it didnt  do anything, everything was still there.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 20th, 2009 16:00

Your XPS410 is the same "vintage" as my Dimension E510 and it should have the Dell Recovery Partition.  When You first boot (and before Windows starts) hold the CTRL key down and press F11 and it should access the Recovery Partition (assuming it hasn't been deleted).

The Dell reinstallation procedure works as long as it's followed exactly. 

If you are still having problems, repost on the Microsoft OS section (the section for your reinstall issues) and maybe someone there will have more info. 

3 Posts

September 20th, 2009 20:00

Okay i've tried several times turning on my computer and holding ctrl then F11 and letting go at the same time at the DELL splash logo, yet nothing happens. Also how will or am i able to figure out if i've had my Recovery Partition deleted?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 21st, 2009 03:00

The recovery and diagnostic partitions are "hidden" partitions unless the hard drive has been reformatted and all partitions deleted at some point. 

September 23rd, 2009 15:00

Place your dell operating system cd in the cd tray, if you have more than one cd rom drive then the top one will work better (atleast it did for me), when the dell splash screen comes up try f12. I think that is the boot option key, but look at the top right of the screen and double check. After you get to the boot options screen select the onboard cd rom option. It should then pull up the dell system recovery program disk utility. It will probably say something like press any key to boot from cd ..... After the setup has started you will probably need to delete all of the partitions on the hard drive and format to make one new ntfs partition. Thats only if you want to make the computer like it was when you bought it. Once windows is finished installing put the other cd's in and install all of your drivers and programs. That should make it like you just bought it once more, assuming that all of the hardware is still working properly. I would also suggest downloading the newest drivers from dell.com.

No Events found!