jeffrey.j
1 Copper

'Restoring' to factory settings - Windows XP

I have a Dell Latitude D620 running Windows XP, the same OS as when it was new. I'd like to restore the computer to factory settings or get the OS as close to 'stock' as possible. However, I do not have a product key or an instillation CD, because the computer had the OS preinstalled. I have tried to boot computer from an earlier time, but it says there are no boot points. I'm not sure if there is a way to restore it given the conditions, but any help is appreciated. And if all else fails are there any downloadable 'programs' that would delete all unnecessary files not associated with the OS (like a contacts cleaner that deletes all the extra contacts but instead of deleting all the extra contacts, it deletes all unnecessary files to get a near 'stock' OS) , I'm not sure if this exists, or if they are even safe for the computer, but I am young and very new to Windows so thank you for all your help I very much appreciate it.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Philip_Yip
5 Iridium

RE: 'Restoring' to factory settings - Windows XP

Windows XP Reached End of Life in 2014... It is no longer supported by Microsoft and as a consequence there is no installation .iso available for download and Dell are not allowed to provide installation media.

That system will run Windows 7, 8.1, 10 32 Bit but it requires a new license which costs more than the systems worth (better to get a 2nd hand Latitude E Series on eBay with a Windows 7 Pro OEM License than pay for a full Retail License).

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos