Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 10th, 2016 10:00

Running out of disc space on RECOVERY D

I have a Dell Inspiron 3647, that came from the factory with Windows 7 installed. When windows 10 came out and was free, I upgraded to Windows 10. After numerous compatibility problems with my older programs, I decided to downgrade back to Windows 7. It was over 30 days, so could not go back automatically to Windows 7. I had the Windows 7 installation disc and drivers, so I did a clean install and re-installed Windows 7. After the installation of Windows 7, I got a message that said:

"You are running out of disc space on RECOVERY D."

Two things I would like to know. What is the partition "RECOVERY D" used for? And, how can I get rid of the message "You are running out of disc space on RECOVERY D?"

Any suggestions appreciated.

dino80

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 12th, 2016 17:00

You have upgraded to Windows 10 then manually installed Windows 7. The recovery partition now will no longer work. The partition shows up in Windows explorer after a manual install but on a proper factory install its hidden.

Perform a proper clean install by using Diskpart clean all before loading Windows 7.

13 Posts

April 23rd, 2016 07:00

Thanks Philip, I will try your suggestion. Appreciate the help...Sorry about the delay for my reply..

dino80

5.2K Posts

April 12th, 2016 15:00

The Recovery partition contains the original Win 7 software for repair purposes. You were probably saving data to this partition, which should not be done. You can look in Disk Management to see how much is on each partition. After the Win 10 upgrade, the Recovery Partition may not be any good.

13 Posts

April 12th, 2016 17:00

Thanks for the reply KirkD.

I am glad to know what RECOVERY D is used for.

I have looked in Disk Management and RECOVERY D is 99% full.

I have not saved any files to RECOVERY D. I began getting the message as soon as I finished installing Windows 7.

Do you know of any way I can get  rid of the message?

No Events found!