Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 4th, 2013 16:00

SM Bus Controller Missing Driver

Optiplex 790 - Mini Tower - Reformatted - Extracted all the drivers from the support site. 

NO Restore Method Used - FRESH INSTALL OF Windows 7 Pro 

All went well, except for a missing driver as shown in Device Manage: Code 28: SM Bus Controller - The drivers for this device are not installed

Installed This Chipset:

Intel_Chipset-Software-Insta_A02_R293337
Release Date:     4/19/2011
Importance:     Recommended
Version:     9.2.0.1019, A02

This is the only other Chipset for my Service Tag

ME7_Unified_SW_Installer_R311171
Release Date:     3/21/2012
Importance:     Recommended
Version:     7.0.0.1144, A02

I've checked and double checked the download site, can't seem to find anything else.

Thanx

120 Posts

January 4th, 2013 18:00

SOLVED

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 4th, 2013 19:00

It is customary to document your solution so others can benefit.

120 Posts

January 4th, 2013 19:00

Hi flash

Sorry - How are you?

Solution:

Although I installed the correct Chipset: R293337 - Apparently it was required to also install the Update Component: RVR_WIN_R29333. As soon as I installed the Chipset Update driver, (a separate driver package), Code 28 was resolved.

And BTW., it was partially due to your expertise that I was able to perform this format on my new Optiplex 790. Interestingly however, Dell set the drive so that I could NOT delete it before formatting. I'll have to start with a Bare Bones Drive.

Happy New Year!

Mike

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 4th, 2013 21:00

"Dell set the drive so that I could NOT delete it before formatting."

What do you mean - what exactly are you seeing?  I have a dozen or so 790's that I have built over the last couple of months, and have had no issues either regarding the SMBUS driver (which I'm sure the correct driver you listed above was installed in the process - I'd have to take a look at my notes on Monday), or deleting partitions (I fully deleted and formatted each disk in rebuilding them).

120 Posts

January 5th, 2013 11:00

flash - the SM Bus Driver isssue was resolved as I mentioned. The solution/process to avoid that from happening is explained above for others to see. The issue of formatting was a separate issue I encountered when it came time to choose the option to DELETE, before Formatting. Apparently (it appears), Dell added/inserted/assigned this OEM drive so that it could NOT be deleted. I a got prompt warning me of that, so I went ahead and continued the Format process, WITHOUT Deleting the drive first. Clear? I don't really care too much because this was a practice format on the drive that came with this new machine out of the box. I always intended to replace this 250GB drive with a larger drive anyway. I'm sure I won't have that problem with a store-bought retail drive.  

Thank you flash

Mike

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 5th, 2013 11:00

All I'm saying is you should not be having that issue on a Dell OEM drive either.  I've worked with hundreds of OEM drives and have never seen one that prevented you from deleting, expanding, shrinking, or otherwise formatting or partitioning the disk.  So, no, it's not clear to me what exactly the issue is that you are seeing ... but if it doesn't matter to you, then it doesn't matter to me :).  If you want help figuring that out, let me know.  Take care :)

120 Posts

January 5th, 2013 12:00

Hi again flash

"you should not be having that issue on a Dell OEM drive either." Well my freind, it did come up, and did surprise me. Maybe I'll try it again just for fun?

In any event, it could be an issue when I pull it out, and use it somewhere else as a spare drive.We'll see ....:emotion-18:

On another note, I'll be looking to add a sound card, and a Video Card. Although a nice machine, the Opitlex does not have a DVI out on the mother board.

Sequence of events: install the card phyiscally, then boot into Bios Set Up - Make Changes? Then load the drivers?

Here's my other thread:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19484299/20266790.aspx#20266790 < To be clear, Slot 2 is occupied, so I'll put the sound card, PCI Express x1 in tiny slot 3.

Thanx flash

Mike

120 Posts

January 5th, 2013 13:00

Hi again flash

In this particular 790, there was actually an upgrade to a 520 Watt Neo Eco 520c. So I shouldn't have any power problems.

Thanx for the tips: just make sure your video cable is connected to the card

That being a power cable from the card to a female socket labeled; 'Intruder' on the motherboard directly above the card slot toward to rear?

Slot 4 for this nVidia on sale:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/403669/01G-P3-1312-RX_NVIDIA_GeForce_210_1024MB_DDR3_PCIe_20_x16_Video_Card_-_Refurbished

Slot 3 is available for a PCIe x1  http://www.microcenter.com/product/397403/Xonar_DSX_PCIe_71_Audio_Card

Slot 2 is already taken.

Thanx

Mike

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 5th, 2013 13:00

You won't likely need to make any changes in the BIOS ... just make sure your video cable is connected to the card and not the onboard or you will get an error.  It will load to the Desktop in VGA mode (everything big, pixelated, etc.), then you can add the driver.  Before adding a driver of your own, you may give Windows a chance to find a driver ... Windows Update may already have it.

Your video card will "probably" be ok, but your 790's power supply falls short of the published minimum specs for the GeForce 210 (300W required, 790 has between 200W and 265W, depending on which chassis/model you have).

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 5th, 2013 15:00

Thanx for the tips: just make sure your video cable is connected to the card

Sorry if that was obvious, but people do that all the time, then see the message saying they cannot use the onboard video with a graphics card installed, so they root around BIOS messing with all kinds of settings trying to turn it off, when all they needed to do was connect the video cable to the card to tell the system not to use the onboard.

That being a power cable from the card to a female socket labeled; 'Intruder' on the motherboard directly above the card slot toward to rear?

Is that a question as to what that connector is for?  If so, that is for the "intrusion detection" feature (optional and not used often except for locations where data is sensitive) ... it is for monitoring the integrity of the system chassis, logging time/date for whenever the chassis/cover is opened, and/or notifying management/security upon such an intrusion.

120 Posts

January 5th, 2013 15:00

Hi flash

that is for the "intrusion detection" feature (optional and not used often except for locations where data is sensitive - Oops! ok so that rules out the use of this port for the Video cable, (wrong port). Actually I just realized, (from my Mac experience), there are at least two cables with connectors coming off that big power supply, and clearly marked PCIe on the connector.  One of these should work plugged into the Video Card - Yes?

And as for that PCI Express x1 slot 2 that should work fine for any PCI Express x1 Sound Card - True? Seems rather tiny - less contacts in the slot - less contacts on the card. I guess this is how they cut back rather than provide a full-sized slot. I already threw a full-sized FW1394 in slot 2.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 5th, 2013 16:00

Ok, sorry ... didn't know what you were asking ... yes, most newer power supplies should have a power connector (usually 6-pin/PCIe) for video cards.

Yes, your x1 slot should work for any x1 PCIe card, including sound.  Just FYI ... your x1 sound card can go in ANY size PCIe slot ... you could even put it in the other PCIe x16 slot - PCIe cards negotiate the number of "lanes" that will be used.  The rule with PCIe is, if it fits, it works.  It is small for devices that do not need much data throughput, like audio cards.  Video cards need much more bandwidth, so it is longer (x16).  If you cut the back out of the x1 slot and put your video card in it, it would still work, just negotiated down from X16 to x1.  You might think "if a shorter card can go in a longer slot, why are the slots not all x16" ... that is because the bus can only handle so much traffic, so if they put 3 x16 slots, they would then have to advise (and field support calls from) customers that think they should be getting 48 lanes of PCIe bandwidth, but are actually getting 25.  You'll probably find if you looked hard enough that the second video slot, while an x16 slot, is only wired at x4 or x8 - that is to accomodate a full-size video card, but within the limitations of the PCIe bus of the system.  If you were to put your video card in the second x16 slot (wired at x4 or x8), your video performance would suffer significantly vs. putting your video card in the first/main x16 slot, wired at full x16 for video performance.

When you say you "threw a ... FW1394 in slot 2" ... since slot 2 is technically the x1 PCIe slot, do you mean you put it in the second PCIe x16 slot (which is technically slot 4) or in the legacy PCI slot (which is technically slot 3, and probably white).

120 Posts

January 6th, 2013 06:00

PCIe cards negotiate the number of "lanes" that will be used.  The rule with PCIe is, if it fits, it works.  -Thank you flash

When you say you "threw a ... FW1394 in slot 2"  I meant to say I put a FW400 1394 card in Slot 3, the white slot. - Thank you flash

And yes I'll have only one slot left, slot 2 the black slot for which I'll put that audio card in there.

Thanks again flash

No Events found!