Annie70
4 Germanium

Re: System Restore NOT Working on Studio 1737 Vista Home Premium 32-bit

Jump to solution

Hi Rick, Have you tried clearing all restore points, rebooting , creating a new restore point and then restoring. Sometimes all restore points can be corrupted and the only way to solve this is by clearing all previous restore points.  Annie

Forum Member Since 2001

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Annie,

I purged the system restore points a while back and I am just waiting patiently trying to find the answer. I am waiting for a few days to see if this will be better or not. It's just odd that it states the restore points were sucessfully been created.

Using System restore in the safe mode, the error messgae was...

'The backup did not complete successfully.
An error occurred. The following information might help you resolve the error: The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002)'

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
Annie70
4 Germanium

Jump to solution

Hi Rick, A Google search of this error message shows many others who have this same problem with no resolution.  Do you have SP1 and all the Vista updates?  Annie

Forum Member Since 2001

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Annie,

I was reading this article, 0x80070002 error in Vista Backup Centre - Vista Forums and I looked at the registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

and found one profile keys in there without profile image path. I deleted it but it still didn't work. I'm thinking it has something to do with the Dell Remote Access software that was on the computer. I tried it, I thought it was good for one year, only worked for 10 days, so I removed it. I think that's where the missing image path came from.

I have tried different restore points with the same results, so I am still trying to figure this one out. I don't mind trying a few things as long as I don't lose anything. I guess I should make a copy of some of the files and folders to a DVD.

It's really wild because everything else works GREAT, except system restore, even though it creates restore points, it cannot make them work. I tried ones that Windows Updates even made to no avail.

Need to think on this one.

Rick

#DellRockstar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Everyone,

After some searching on the internet and helping another person with doing a Vista Repair using a slipstream disk, do NOT check unattended disk or it will ask you for a product key,on Dell computers the Product Key is in the motherboard. I have actually found a solution to make System Restore work again in Vista.

I made a Vista Slipstream disk with vLite, however I could NOT add SP2 to the slipstream disk. When making the Slipstream disk, I could add some of Microsofts hotfixes but NOT all of them.(Micorsoft Hotfixes located at c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\) I did add the drivers on my system, by using Wndrvrbckup Backup Utilities, I then burned the image to a DVD.

How to do a System Repair with Vista using a Slipstream Disk made with vLite.

Make sure you're logged into an unrestricted account.

After you're logged in, then you insert the Slipstream Disk. Allow it to run. Choose install now.

Go Online to get the latest Updates.

The other screens did NOT appear about a Windows Key as I used an OEM Version of Vista and on a Dell computer, the product key is on the motherboard.

Now you click on Upgrade.

It seems like it sits in the compatibility mode for a while, but that's ok. It will eventually start. You leave the disk in until you see a screen that asks you about Windows Securitty(Windows Update Settings) and then about your clock settings.

It sometimes sits there and you think it's not responding but it's actually doing something. There were a few times I thought it wasn't responding but it then started going faster and then it went back to slow again. This procedure took over 2 hours. I don't know how much longer over 2 hours it took, as I fell asleep because I did this after work.

NOT all the programs worked, so you may have to re-install the problem programs, again.

Also make sure to get all the Windows Updates, again. I have then added Vista SP2 to my Operating System.

All is working well and I hope this helps others with getting System Restore working again on their Vista machines.

Rick

[SOLVED] System Restore NOT working Vista 32-bit

#DellRockstar

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos
Dave576
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Rick,

Just found that I have the same problem.

Studio 1737, Vista Home Premium 64-bit. Have all the latest updates from Dell and MS, including SP2.

I just downloaded Paragon Drive Backup and was making a rescue disk on a USB when it was done I clicked finish with the USB still in and I got a blue screen (Ironically). I do have lots of previous backups.

I'll make another post about this.

At first re-boot Vista was very slow. So I rebooted again and it was much faster, but not like before. After some checks I thought I would use Restore. Got the same screen you did. Tried a couple of earlier restore points with no luck. Started looking at the restore files and it was set at default 68GB. Seemed large so I put it down to 35GB. It that a reasonable size? Or still too much?

I used restore right after I recieved the laptop when one of the MS updates crashed it, worked fine then. Tried some of the things mentioned here before I found this post and then have done the other suggestions up to making the VLite Vista Slipstream disk. Nothing else is working so will try this now. This will be my first VLite Slipstream disk attempt. I have previously been researching it so have some info on it, wasn't planning on doing it now !

Just to confirm the System Repair, as the name implies, leaves all non-vista files intact ?

Thanks for the info and walk through.

Dave

Inspiron 530s, Intel Core2 E7200, 6 GB DDR2 800MHz, 500GB SATA II 7200RPM, 22" Widescreen LCD w/2 MP Webcam,Radeon HD4650, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit,  eSATA port 

Studio Laptop 1737, Intel Core2 Duo T6400 800MHz , 4GB DDR2 memory 800MHz, Intel X25-V 40GB SSD, 320GB SATA II,17" WXGA w/2.0-megl webcam, Facial recognition, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, Vista Premium 64-bit,  eSATA port,  9-cell battery 
External HDD: A.C.Ryan w/500GB Seagate Barracuda SATA II 7200RPM w/eSATA, WD My Book 500GB 7200RPM w/USB
Custom Rig, i5-750, Gigabyte UD4P, Intel X25M 120GB SSD, 8GB Corsair Venegance CL8, XFX HD 5770, Corsair HX 650 PSU, 1TB and 500GB HDDs. Win7 Ultimate 64bit.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Dave,

When I did the Vista Repair, yes everything was still intact. All my files and folders were there and most programs were ok, except a few. I had to re-install those few programs, get Windows Updates, again.

I could NOT get vLite to Slipstream SP2(I have SP1 on my Vista 32-bit disk). So after I repaired Vista using the instructions, provided in the verified answer, I got Microsoft Updates and then when it asked for SP2 download, I cancelled, since I downloaded it to a DVD earlier. I then tried system restore after a couple of days and it is working, again.

Let me know if you have any problems and if you get it working.

Rick

#DellRockstar

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dave576
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Rick,

Hope you can give me a little help with this repair disk.

Had a few learning curve issues but finally worked them out and got the VLite ran and the disk made.

Couldn't get the Wndrvrbckup Backup Utilities to work, it would copy to a location but the folders were empty. Tried several different times, doing things a little differently but didn't work. Finally got the drivers copied and slipstreamed in with DriverMax. Just now figured out that I have to run Wndrvrbckup as administrator, should have known that. 

Put in the DVD with Vista up and running. When I got to the 'Now you click on Upgrade' step, it's grayed out and says below on the window that the upgrade option is not available. Only option is clean install. The disk that came with my computer is the 'Dell Reinstallation DVD Windows Vista Home Premium 64Bit SP1'. I copied it to my desktop and added it to VLite from there. Didn't ask for the product key, as it shouldn't. In VLite it also said that it was only making a copy of Vista Premium. That's VLite's purpose to make the repair disk volume smaller and the only Vista version on my Dell reinstallation disk, but is that why it didn't let me select 'upgrade'?

Any ideas on why I didn't get the upgrade option?

VLite wouldn't accept SP2, as you mentioned but that’s easy enough to do later. Once I became familiar with the program it seemed to be fairly straight forward. 

Thanks,

Dave

PS

Looks like this might be the reason:

" If you have a OEM Recovery Vista installation DVD that came preinstalled with your OEM brand computer instead, then it will most likely only be a clone of the hard drive with Vista allowing you to only do a clean install with it instead. These OEM computers often have a Recovery D:\ partition that does the same thing as the OEM Recovery Vista installation DVD."

Mine is a 'Reinstallation Disk'. Are they different disks?

What disk did you use?

"The Vista installation DVD that you use to do the repair (upgrade) install must be the same or newer version of Vista with the Windows Updates and SP level than what you currently have installed. If the DVD is a older version, then you cannot do a repair (upgrade) install with it."

Looks like I need to uninstall the SP2.

Inspiron 530s, Intel Core2 E7200, 6 GB DDR2 800MHz, 500GB SATA II 7200RPM, 22" Widescreen LCD w/2 MP Webcam,Radeon HD4650, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit,  eSATA port 

Studio Laptop 1737, Intel Core2 Duo T6400 800MHz , 4GB DDR2 memory 800MHz, Intel X25-V 40GB SSD, 320GB SATA II,17" WXGA w/2.0-megl webcam, Facial recognition, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, Vista Premium 64-bit,  eSATA port,  9-cell battery 
External HDD: A.C.Ryan w/500GB Seagate Barracuda SATA II 7200RPM w/eSATA, WD My Book 500GB 7200RPM w/USB
Custom Rig, i5-750, Gigabyte UD4P, Intel X25M 120GB SSD, 8GB Corsair Venegance CL8, XFX HD 5770, Corsair HX 650 PSU, 1TB and 500GB HDDs. Win7 Ultimate 64bit.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Dave,

I have a reinstallation DVD of Vista Hope Premium SP1 and it worked for me, except the slipstream part. Read RobinBredins thread and click the here button and it will walkk you through the process.

Windrivers backup, click on Backup drivers to this folder and select the location. Click on identify all drivers. Click select all, then backup drivers. Now all your drivers on your computer are located in that folder. You can slipstream them in the disk. I also keep a DVD of the drivers in case of emergency.

Rick

#DellRockstar

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

Jump to solution

Dave,

You might not have to un=install SP2 as the repair disk might remove it and take you back to what version your DVD is. Before I slipstreamed a disk, I used the Operating Disk with XP and it took SP3 away and I was back to XP SP2.

Like I preach to many, you should ALWAYS make copies of files and folders that you cannot afford to lose.

Rick

#DellRockstar

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos