Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

October 11th, 2004 14:00

SP2 XP Pro and FrontPage2003 --Dell Gold Support Tech advised me to uninstall SP2 for now.

Howdy,

Running XP Pro, I seemed to be having a problem with FrontPage2003 after installing SP2.

I called Dell Gold Tech Support, and the tech recommended uninstalling SP2. He said that FrontPage probably had not been updated for SP2. And he also said that I should give Microsoft a few months to work the bugs out of SP2 before I install it.

This advice seems to contradict the constant preaching that Windows users should always install "critical updates" like SP2 in order to protect their systems.

Any intelligent feedback on this would be appreciated.

Rut

72 Posts

October 11th, 2004 14:00

Replying to my own message, after reading previous posts I don't think it's a good idea to install SP2.

Rut

1.2K Posts

October 11th, 2004 17:00

Please see the link below.

72 Posts

October 11th, 2004 17:00

Thanks,

Rut

72 Posts

October 11th, 2004 20:00

Running XP Pro, I seemed to be having a problem with FrontPage2003 after installing SP2.

What problem? If you can be more specific, somebody might be able to help.

See my previous post on the Office software board. (Had to do with some sort of popup blocker being activated for my own authored pages, which contain no popups, when previewed in FrontPage.) This post here regarded the wisdom of

I called Dell Gold Tech Support, and the tech recommended uninstalling SP2. He said that FrontPage probably had not been updated for SP2. And he also said that I should give Microsoft a few months to work the bugs out of SP2 before I install it.

That is complete nonsense. I am running Frontpage 2003 with no issues at all.

One would think that an MS certified tech in Gold support would know. So I don't know who to believe.

This advice seems to contradict the constant preaching that Windows users should always install "critical updates" like SP2 in order to protect their systems.

That's because this piece of advice was complete nonsense. See above.

I wondered about that. Dell Gold support techs have always pushed updating. So why would this guy now say Don't Update? As I say, I did wonder about it.

P.S.: Oh, and ignore the 100mph guy. He is posting his useless spam as a reply to just about every single post on this forum.

Whatever.

Thanks to all, except the Snoot.

Rut

274 Posts

Don't know what sort of issues you could be having with Front Page 2003.  I just updated my system with SP2 this weekend and updated my web sites about an hour after that.  The only thing I had to do was tell the Security Center to unblock Front Page when I went to upload the site to the server.  There should be no other issue, because, after all, Front Page is part of the Microsoft Office suite.  The exact same Security Center message was given to my son, who uploads directly to a server using WS FTP, obviously a non-Microsoft product, and that worked fine, too.

Have you checked documentation on the Microsoft site?  Why all the paranoia about SP2?  My computer is the third system in my family to upgrade to it (an XPS system, a Dimension 4600, and a Dimension 8300).  All have updated smoothly with no problems so far (the XPS was updated 6 weeks ago by my son at college).  I can't understand the massive posts that I have read about people un-installing SP2.  But, of course, I read and take care of my equipment to begin with.  And, I'm enjoying the added security it provides to the 4600 that my 12-year-old uses!

224 Posts

What problem? If you can be more specific, somebody might be able to help.

That is complete nonsense. I am running Frontpage 2003 with no issues at all.

That's because this piece of advice was complete nonsense. See above.

P.S.: Oh, and ignore the 100mph guy. He is posting his useless spam as a reply to just about every single post on this forum.

224 Posts

October 12th, 2004 01:00

One would think that an MS certified tech in Gold support would know. So I don't know who to believe.

Well, given the amount of idiocy that people in this forum report being told by various Dell support personnel, I would not dare to assume anything...

I forgot to ask: Have you installed the Office 2003 service pack (SP1)? Generally that service pack includes a number of little fixes to make Office 2003 work correctly with XP SP2. If you haven't, it is a good idea to do so, and see if that solves your problem. I have never seen the popup blocker appear in Frontpage preview, but does it kick in with the same option bar as in IE? Otherwise, if you open your web pages in IE, does the popup blocker appear? I would assume that you could stop it from doing that by telling the popup blocker to exclude your local address from its scrutiny. Why it would hickup in your case in the first place, however, I have no idea, sorry.

5 Posts

October 12th, 2004 01:00

Dell support has advised others not to install SP2 yet.  Here's a thread from last week. 

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=sw_svcpacks&message.id=1864

Dell seems to be saying they are working on some fixes.  But will they let us know when the fixes are in place and they are recommending SP2 installation? 

72 Posts

October 12th, 2004 13:00

I forgot to ask: Have you installed the Office 2003 service pack (SP1)?

Yep.

I have never seen the popup blocker appear in Frontpage preview,

It wasn't exactly a popup blocker, but something similar, perhaps, more like a little yellow area with a warning of some sort that took the place of one of my frames, I thinks, a thing that required me to click on it to allow it to proceed or to make it go away. There was/is nothing in the frame that generates a popup that I know of. It disappeared after I uninstalled SP2. Perhaps at the time I was having the problem all I had to do was make some adjustments to the popup blocker in IE.

but does it kick in with the same option bar as in IE?

I don't know the answer to that.

Otherwise, if you open your web pages in IE, does the popup blocker appear?

Nope, it only occurred while using the IE previewer in FrontPage.

I would assume that you could stop it from doing that by telling the popup blocker to exclude your local address from its scrutiny. Why it would hickup in your case in the first place, however, I have no idea, sorry.

Me neither.

Thanks for the help,
Rut

224 Posts

October 12th, 2004 14:00

Sorry for being somewhat dense, I should have realized that right away, but I think I now know what you are talking about now: IE by default now blocks active content in files that are on your computer. This is known as "Local Zone Lockdown", and it would take me too far to explain why Microsoft put that in place (ultimately, it's a fundamental security problem in Windows that they have not found an elegant way how to solve...). If you search the web for "Local Zone Lockdown" you will get all the information you need.

But briefly, if you really want to get rid of it (and open a potential security hole in the process...), then in IE, go to Tools->Internet Options->Advanced->Security, and check "Allow active content to run in files on My Computer.

Let me know if that resolves your issue.

72 Posts

October 12th, 2004 15:00

Dietmar,

Before seeing your most recent post, in order to see if I could replicate the problem and gather more info, I reinstalled SP2, and sure 'nuff, there the warning was again.

With SP2 installed, when running FrontPage and doing the Preview In Browser ( the Preview available in the upper toolbar or File menu, not the Show Preview View), and with PopUp Blocker turned Off, a yellow message bar appears across the top of the web page with a yellow shield icon on the left and the message: "To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has restricted this file from showing active content that could access your computer. Click here for options." Clicking "here" or anywhere doesn't produce available options, but only makes the message go away.

I had read this message to the Dell Gold Support tech, and his response was that MS had probably not yet updated FrontPage for SP2, and that I should uninstall SP2 and wait a few months or more for MS to make the appropriate update available for FrontPage.

Before getting your latest post, looking at warning message again, it looked like the FrontPage problem is something that could be resolved by simply adjusting an IE security setting ... but I wasn't able to find the setting and was about to post a request.

But I've followed procedure in your last post, and that resolved it.

Thanks again,
Rut

224 Posts

October 12th, 2004 19:00

I had read this message to the Dell Gold Support tech, and his response was that MS had probably not yet updated FrontPage for SP2, and that I should uninstall SP2 and wait a few months or more for MS to make the appropriate update available for FrontPage.

In other words, the tech was completely, utterly clueless. Just as I thought.

But I've followed procedure in your last post, and that resolved it.

Glad that I could help.
No Events found!