Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 2nd, 2009 09:00

ST service scheduling not working

I recieved my XPS 625 two days ago. The first time I turned it on I got a ST service is not working message. It says I am missing a .dll. This message comes every time I start the pc. Any ideas?

2 Posts

July 5th, 2009 14:00

I get the same problem on my E530.  I fixed it by uninstalling DELL LOCAL BACKUP.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 2nd, 2009 11:00

Doing a google search I can't find anything related to ST service, for computers.  As this is a new PC, best to call Dell support.

9 Posts

July 2nd, 2009 17:00

Thanks for the reply. I called and we are currently unresolved on the issue. Yes the pc is two days old. The message was there on the initial start up. I can't repair from the Vista 64 disk that came with the pc either, at the beginning of installation of the Vista disk, I get a "cd/dvd driver not found" message.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 3rd, 2009 11:00

One other thought.  In a few cases, systems have come out with a Dell "maintenance" software install instead of the normal system software install.  In those cases it takes a complete reinstall to get rid of the problem.  There should be a Dell Recovery partition on the hard drive that will restore the PC to the factory conditon (and in cases where there was a Dell factory maintenance install this takes care of it).   Since this is new, you may want to seriously consider doing this.  I'm surprised Dell Tech Support hasn't had you do this already.

HERE is the Dell recovery procedure.

9 Posts

July 3rd, 2009 18:00

Thank you again,

I did the pc restore and the message is still there. It's just odd for a brand new pc to start off with an error message. I will call them again and see what we can work out. I am just as concerned that I can't install another operating system because of the "cd/dvd driver cannot be found" message. I want to use Windows 7 when it is officially released.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 4th, 2009 05:00

One other thing to consider, if you are in the US, Dell has a 21 day, from the date on the Dell invoice (usually the shipping date) to call and request a return authorization if you are not happy with the PC or think you got a lemon.  In many cases they will offer to replace the PC with a new, same type, rather than give you a refund.  Something to consider.  But, after the 21 day return window it's yours to deal with.

9 Posts

July 5th, 2009 17:00

Thank you JC,

The error message no longer comes up. Any chance you've attempted and to install an OS and not been able to because of a message that says "cd/dvd driver not found" at the beginning of the install. That is my last remaining issue. I won't be able to us Windows 7 until I get this resolved.

Thanks again,

ledbetter

1 Message

August 6th, 2009 10:00

I had exactly the same with my inspiron 545, 2 days after receiving it (last week) -    I get the st service error - dll missing. I contacted the techical support???? only answer there was windows restore, back 2 days, to when it came out of the box.

Anyway today 10 days later its back - ive just done as was suggested, later in this tread (Uninstall dell local backup) and its running ok.

Come on dell surely you must be aware of this problem, or is the only fix to uninstall your own faulty software????????

3 Posts

August 23rd, 2009 09:00

Here's what I did to make the error go away on my new Studio 540 desktop with Vista Home 64-bit:

Download the free version of WinPatrol from BillP Studios (any good startup monitor may work - WinPatrol is the one I happen to use).  Check under Startup Programs for 'launcher.exe' from Softthinks and disable it.

The files causing the problem (Launcher.exe, STService.exe) are located on my PC in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell Datasafe Local Backup\Components\Scheduler folder.

September 15th, 2009 22:00

Also got this message but it occurred after I ran McAfee Quick Clean and "checked" the registry cleaner,  the cache cleaner, and active x, among others.  This may run automatically so you may not know what has been removed.  System Restore to before I ran the McAfee cleaner restored my computer without this annoying warning reappearing...so far....

1 Message

October 5th, 2009 03:00

I just got that message after running McAfee Quick Clean also, so are you saying that you ran just the System Restore Cleaner on McAfee and the message disappeared.

2 Posts

November 18th, 2009 07:00

I had the same problem with my brand new Dell studio, and after looking into ideas to removed the problem. I uninstall  the dell local backup & now the problem is completely gone. Dell wanted to charge me $129 dollars to fix the problem that a program they offer caused the issue - come on dell this should of been free!!!

1 Message

January 14th, 2010 10:00

I'm having the same "ST service not working" problem on my new Dell Inspiron notebook, Windows 7 64-bit that I've had for about 6 weeks. I didn't see this message until yesterday when I tried to create a system repair disc (I didn't have any blank DVDs when I first got the computer).  That's when it started and it seems to be preventing me from creating a system repair disc.  It doesn't show up when I boot, only when I try to create the disk.  I checked my Startup and Services, and neither Launcher.exe or STServices appears there.  I looked in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell Datasafe Local Backup\Components\scheduler\ folder, as advised by an earlier poster, and, sure enough, among other files, I found these:

Launcher.exe

STSCheduler.dll   [sic]

STService

stservice.exe   {which turns out to be text file log, not an executable]

I'm hesitant to remove any of these without understanding what the consequences might be.  I guess I could rename them temporarily, or move them to a different folder, but I'm really disappointed in Dell for not doing something about this after all this time.

February 25th, 2010 07:00

Hi , Just go to conrol panel and go to programs and features there and uninstall dell datasafe local backup, software support and dell datasafe backup online and dell ebay and restart the computer. It will be fixed.

1 Message

April 11th, 2010 17:00

I've had this same issue that is discussed in this article and am planning to uninstall dell datasafe local backup. But do you know what this is? I want to know if it is something that I want or need so I can find out how to reinstall it if needed.

No Events found!