Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 13th, 2006 22:00

Save a still picture in Windows Media Player?

Is it possible to pause a video in Windows Media Player, and save a still picture? I can't see any function which allows it.

167 Posts

August 13th, 2006 23:00

Currently their's no feature in WMP for this. I believe Power DVD has it only on the full version (Deluxe). Their should be some programs you can download off the internet from www.download.com

The site provides clean, spyware/virus free programs. Some are free, others are trials/demos.

August 14th, 2006 01:00

There isnt a feature but you can disable overlays which i believe will enable you to Pause then Print Screen.

To Disable, In the menu bar go Tools, Options, Then change the Tab to 'Performace', then click the 'Advanced...' button at the bottom of the dialog,.
In the new dialog underneath 'Video Acceleration' untick 'Use Overlays' and the same under 'DVD Video' (may not be there depending on WMP version).
This option will allow you take a screen shot, however it will increase the load on the cpu i believe...

Good Luck!

167 Posts

August 14th, 2006 02:00

I've tried that before and it does't work. You can save the screenshot but next time you open the picture (after WMP is closed) its completely black. Microsoft should have made this a feature but they probably don't want to get sued for copyright infrigment.

August 14th, 2006 02:00

Well sorry to burst your bubble but by disabling overlays you can screenshot the video feed. It works. And i tried it again just then.

An overlay (default turned on - for computer with a seperate AGP or PCI graphics card) places the video feed ONTOP of the video output of your chipset. By using this process it lessenes the amount of load on the chipset and CPU as it lets the GPU (graphics processing unit) do the work.

You cannot take a screenshot when overlays are enabled as from the processors point of view, the area where the video feed is going to be placed by the GPU is black thus the black square.

Try this, Enable overlays, and then print screen. Paste it in paint (dont close WMP yet!) and then move the paint window around and you will notice the overlay appearing wherever the black square is.

85 Posts

August 14th, 2006 04:00

Well, I'm almost sorry that I started this thread. I tried it too, but I can't get it to work either. I was hoping that I could just use the "save as" comand, and then place the still in "My Pictures". When I tried to copy and paste, I didn't get anything.  Will play with it again tomorrow, and see if I can get it to work. Thanks.

2K Posts

August 14th, 2006 08:00

I could only get it to work with power DVD, and by disabling Video Acceleration.
No Events found!