Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

DH

May 10th, 2013 11:00

Screen split 1/3 way down

Hi I turned on my Dell XPS L502X, Intel HD Graphics Family is my card I believe, and the screen was split about 1/3 of the top of the screen is at the bottom as well. I can see both screens are the same if I move my mouse to the top I can see it at the bottom. I've tried restoring computer and uninstalling/re installing drivers, ran PC checkup but nothing. Anyone have an answer? I will include a picture soon.

3.1K Posts

Hi Dylan Hart,

I would suggest you to run the LCD BIST to check the functionality of the LCD. To run the LCD BIST (Built in Self-test):

• Power off the computer.
  • Press and hold the 'D' key on the keyboard while pressing the power button, then release both at the same time.
  • This will initiate a Grey screen, then Red, then Blue, then Green, then White screen.
  • Please check if the issue persists.

Alternatively, check in BIOS:

• Power off the computer.
  • Restart the computer, tap ‘F2’ key on the Dell logo.
  • This will take you to the BIOS screen.
  • Please check for any abnormal behavior.

I would also suggest you to connect an external monitor and check if the issue persists.

Please reply with the findings.

May 10th, 2013 12:00

Thanks for a fast reply, I tried the LCD BIST and that worked fine but I'm not sure what "abnormal behavior" is on the BIOS, menu opens fine and looks normal (besides the 1/2" thick line going from side to side) I don't have an external monitor right now to plug into but will try to get one soon.

Yes there is no bar on the LCD BIST but there is on the BIOS. My warranty still has over a year on it (6/14/14) Would I just have to ship it to Dell and have them replace/fix it?

3.1K Posts

Hi Dylan Hart,

Thank you for the response. If I understood, you correctly, the thick line is is not visible in LCD BIST, however it is visible in BIOS. If that is correct, then it looks an issue with the motherboard and may require replacement.

Let me know if you system is in warranty; would be glad to assist.

3.1K Posts

Hi Dylan Hart,

You may provide the service tag of the computer and the name as it appears on the account via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation) so that I can check the further course of action.

Please reply if you have any questions.

Also I forgot to say where it's split it's mirrored. The top of the top screen is the same as the bottom screen where it's split.

May 10th, 2013 13:00

I'm off to work so I can get back to you later tonight or tomorrow. Sorry I'll get back to you ASAP.

May 11th, 2013 11:00

Turned on my computer after being off since i posted last and it is back to normal, I'm so confused but happy at the same  time, should I still get it checked out or just see if it happens again?

3.1K Posts

May 14th, 2013 10:00

Hi Dylan Hart,

This looks interesting; usually this doesn't happen. My suggestion would be to observe the computer for functionality. You may try to move the LCD screen, check if the display shows the same line. It is to check if there is any loose connection.

Please reply with the findings.

No Events found!