Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

December 14th, 2004 21:00

Security Center not found in Services plus Unavailable

Hi, I am running winxp sp2 home edition, with spysweeper, adaware se, spybot search & destroy, and avg anti virus.
My problem is when I go to control panel/security center, it says on the top window of the security center page that it is unavailable because the security center service has not started or has stopped. So I go to control panel, perf and maintanece, administration tools, and then services. The Security Center is not even listed in the Services list at all.

I cannot use system restore because it is set to stop monitoring. Is there a way that I can use the original windows CD to get back the Security Center so it will show up in the Services? Or is there a link that I can go to get help with this?

Thank you for any help
Joe

4.4K Posts

December 14th, 2004 21:00

It should be listed as Security Center in services....

Check that you have the file wscsvc.dll in your \windows\system32 folder

You could also check in your registry, see if you have the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wscsvc

On my system, the contents of that key are:

value   data

Default  (value not set)
DependOnService  RpcSs winmgmt
Description  Monitors system security settings and configurations.
DisplayName  Security Center
ErrorControl  00000001
ImagePath   %SystemRoot%\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
ObjectName  LocalSystem
Start  00000002
Type  00000020

there are subkeys \Parameters,

which has a value Service.dll  %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\wscsvc.dll

\Security, \Enum whose contents I don't give here as they may depend on my settings in security center and could be different (not sure).

If you don't have that key then your registry is corrupted and lacking system restore I can only suggest that you run chkdsk /f or reinstall XP SP2 (If you have a slipstreamed or original XP SP2 disk).

You should also have the following services running for security center to function:

Windows Management Instrumentation

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

The default for all of these is automatic.

48 Posts

December 14th, 2004 22:00

Thanks to both of your replys, but it looks like I will have to do a reinstll if I want the security center back according to what you all wrote.

Jrosenfield, I am going to look up those datas you typed in and see if I have any of them.

Thanks again

fastpentium

18.8K Posts

December 14th, 2004 22:00

fastpentium,

Try System File Checker to restore it. (Start|Run, enter sfc /scannow and click OK. There is a space after sfc.)

If that does not restore it, try a repair reinstall. See this.

1.3K Posts

December 14th, 2004 23:00

i hate to tell you to do something without being sure, but...

go to start/run, and type "regsvr32 wscsvc.dll" (minus quotations).. try that.. :)

4.4K Posts

According to Redwolfe's link

Click start, run, type cmd click OK

In the window that opens type

regsvr32 wscsvc.dll    [note space between 2 and w]

press enter

1.3K Posts

denny, i thought that maybe you could suggest that regsvr thing.. :)  she said the file was there, but there wasn't an entry for it in the registry..

48 Posts

Jrosenfield, I think yours was correct going there now.

1.3K Posts

if that doesn't work, try using "regsvr32.exe wscsvc.dll" instead..

48 Posts

Thanks redwolfe, going to try one of them. Hope it works, and thanks for the replys. I will repost later to let ya know what happens.

48 Posts

Jrosenfield, I forgot to say that the other services you mentioned are there and are set at automatic.

denny I just did the sfc /scannow and it did not fix it. Redwolfe I am going to your link now and see what it is all about. Hope it helps.

fastpentium

48 Posts

Jrosenfiels, I did a search and the file wscsvc.dll  shows up in the \windows\system32 folder. So then I went to the hkey-local_machine\system\currentcontrllset\Services\wscsvc and it does NOT show up at all in that list. I checked it real carefully, and it is not there. I am going to go do a chkdsk\f and see if that helps. I will write back the results. I will try anything before having to reinstall winxp sp2.

Thanks

48 Posts

Red wolfe, I went to your link, and it looks like what I need to do, but I truly dont understand what to do. Could you help me in typing in the correct command? Do I go to run and type in a certain command? I feel I am as close as possible in getting it corrected, but need that little extra help.

Thanks

fastpentium

1.3K Posts

December 15th, 2004 00:00

try what i said, go to start/run and type "regsvr32 wscsvc.dll".. (minus quotations)

Message Edited by redwolfe_98 on 12-14-2004 09:08 PM

48 Posts

Ok, here is what happened. I typed in what you said and a window poped up that said.

"wscsvc.dll was loaded, but the DLL Register Server entry point was not found. This file can not be registered. "

So do you think this is the end of the road? Is the only option left is to reinstall? But I tell you what I sure do thank all of you for all the responses even if I have to reinstall. You have been a big help. Do you think maybe there is a way to create an entry point so the file could be loaded and registered?

Fastpentium

1.3K Posts

ok.. thanks for the feedback..
No Events found!