Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 30th, 2007 05:00

Security center won't recognize my Antivirus program

I don't know why it happened, but today Security Center stopped recognizing Norton 07'. And Windows defender stopped working as well, it simply looks for definitions and never loads. I've read that this is a problem with the repository and that if you go to the command prompt and run it as an admin you can see if its inconsistent. Well I did that and mine IS consistent, so what do I do?

16 Posts

October 30th, 2007 08:00

I do not know the exact fix, but have you tried looking around on this website for some answers?  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx  I would go there and poke around Windows Vista articles by running a search, etc.  I think that will get you going on the right direction anyway...

Message Edited by parabola66 on 11-27-2007 10:50 PM

966 Posts

October 30th, 2007 12:00

"Security Center stopped recognizing Norton 07'. And Windows defender stopped working as well"

Are you saying that you aren't receiving any alerts?

Do you have security center set?

This link is for XP but should be the same as vista.

You only get alerts if you have no antivirus or firewall,or if they are disabled.

Message Edited by tomron on 10-30-2007 09:51 AM

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

October 30th, 2007 15:00

while the security center not recognizing a particular component (anti-virus, anti-malware, firewall) could be a the result of a corrupt repository, the fact that windows defender also stopped running [presumably at/about the same time that the security center stopped recognizing your Norton anti-virus] sounds more like a virus/malware attack to me.

are you able to conduct a complete anti-virus and anti-malware (adware/spyware) scan?  
you could also post a HiJackThis log in that forum, to see if anything suspicious shows up.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

October 30th, 2007 16:00

on that basis, i would strongly suggest you generate and post a HiJackThis log, for analysis:

Download the latest version of Trend Micro's HiJackThis (HJT) [version 2.0.2]   installer   from

Save it to your Desktop.

Double-click on the     HJTInstall.exe    file you just downloaded, and click on the   Install   button, to install HJT in the suggested/default folder,
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis

( As part of the installation, a shortcut to the HJT   program  will be placed on your Desktop, and another shortcut in your START menu [for easy-access to using HJT in the future ---
you only need to run the  program  again, but not the  installer ] ).

After installation, HJT will automatically open and start running.  
[If this is your   first time  running HJT, please read and accept the EULA (End-User License Agreement)]

Click on  Do a System Scan and Save a LogFile

This will automatically open NotePad

Copy the entire file from NotePad:  EDIT/SelectAll, EDIT/Copy

Then go to the forum dedicated for HiJack This logs (**NOT** back here), and  PASTE the results there:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board?board.id=si_hijack

Be sure to include a detailed description of any problems/errors/warnings you are encountering.  

Also, please indicate the steps you've already taken, if any, in terms of running anti-malware scanners or malware removal tools.

When you submit your HJT log, please make sure the box under your text which shows "Automatically convert carriage returns to HTML line breaks" is checked, or your log may not format correctly... it should consist of separate/readable lines, not one large "jumble".

Hopefully, one of the HJT experts will get to it as quickly as possible.

WARNING:  HiJack This is a VERY POWERFUL tool.  While it's  completely safe  for you to download, generate, and post your log (as described above), you should *NOT* attempt to do anything else (in particular, do NOT use it to delete/fix any entries) until you are advised to do so by a forum expert!!   Improper use of this tool can severely damage your system.

29 Posts

October 30th, 2007 16:00

Actually, it might of been part of an attack. When these problems occurred my sound went away, my videos stopped working, and Mozilla wouldn't work. I ran a full scan with Norton 07', and then downloaded a NOD32 trial and ran a full scan of that. Both found nothing, so I wasn't sure to make of it. I tried to do a system restore, but it failed on every attempt. I finally managed to fix every problem manually except for the security center thing.

10 Posts

October 30th, 2007 17:00

Something is going on, then, Neo, because I have the same exact symptoms.  All the sudden (yesterday) my sound is gone, no video/songs will even open, and my antivirus/firewall (PC-cillin) isn't detected.  Plus, my internet icon shows no connection at all but I can still use the internet (knock on wood).

Please reply to this message (so I get emailed) if you find the fix for this.

29 Posts

October 31st, 2007 19:00

Thanks for  the info everyone. Unfortunately, after returning home from class yesterday I found my computer in a deadful state. My computer will not start, and merely cycles through the boot sequence until it hits a blue screen of death. It starts up, and tells me WIndows failed to load and might need to be repaired, giving me a list of options to select (safe mode, boot normal ect.) However the strangest thing of all is that my keyboard, or ANY keyboard, will not respond! I thought that perhaps the virus spread to the MBR and is preventing the keyboard from working. So I disconnected the hard-drive to tell the bios to boot from CD first. And the keyboard FAILS to work in the BIOS as well! But to my knowledge, it is impossible for a virus to infect the BIOS. I removed the battery on the motherboard for a full minute to see if that would cause the keyboard to function again, but alas it was futile. Since I'm trying USB keyboards, I thought to try PS2 keyboards only to find out that my computer doesn't support them. So what should I do from here on out? Would buying a new HDD fix my problem? Or do I need to replace the motherboard?

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

interesting problem... i doubt i have an answer...  so all i will do is ask you something obvious:

you've tested the keyboard on other PC's to make sure the keyboards are working?  and
you've tested the USB ports on your "bad" machine, with other devices, to be sure the ports are good?  --- well, if you can't boot up, i don't know that you can test this...

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

you might try posting that on a Hardware board for your appopriate category (desktop??)....  good luck

29 Posts

I've tested all the keyboards I've tried on other computers and they work fine. On my computer, they will light up but not function

10 Posts

April 4th, 2008 23:00

When does this issue happen, does this happen in BIOS, advanced boot options, does this happen in safe mode?

August 9th, 2008 02:00

The same thing happened to me. Did you ever find out how to fix it? The whole not rconizing my anti virus program and window defender always turning off...
Message Edited by starfirescully on 08-08-2008 10:05 PM

29 Posts

August 9th, 2008 02:00

Unfortunatly I never did. I still have the computer sitting in the corner of my room, it won't boot and it fails to recognize any keyboard plugged into it. I've talked to numerous people and they seem to think it was a motherboard issue. I actually wound up getting another (better) dell for about $300 because it was actually a cheaper way to go.
No Events found!