Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 25th, 2011 18:00

Select the driver to be installed (dell vostro v131)

Hi,

I am trying to format my new vostro 131 and have a clean window 7 installation. I have an external dvd-drive and I am booting the Operating system from that. 

After I've selected Time & Language, Keyboard Layout (at the first step of installation), then I got the message "No device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers, and the click ok" at the "Select the driver to be installed" screen (which is the second step of installation). I can open the Operation system DVD but I could not find anything to select.

And I can not continue from there, what should I do ?

ps: my external dvd-drive needs 2 usb so I use usb 3.0 ports.

Thank you

5 Posts

Hi Rick,

I was not able install windows at all. This laptop is relatively new  and recently I had a virus problem. Even though I scan and clean all, I just want to format and re-install windows. For that I was following the steps

support.dell.com/.../document

there I can come to 3 step of Manual re-installation of windows. There I get this "No device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers, and the click ok"

I see OS (C: ) and my external DVD (which has OSdvd in it) and also Dell recovery part. And I do not know what to do.

I think after I install windows 7 I need to install the drivers. Am I right?

thank you for you fast response

Erdem

5 Posts

Rick,

I did not do any of those because as I said it relatively new computer. I do not have any file that I want to keep. Right now I just want a clean computer (no trace of viruses ) . I think I can do

support.dell.com/.../document

but I did not understand the difference of this and manual installation of Windows 7. By the way, thank you again for all  this information.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

TREXME,

When you installed Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit) did you install the desktop/notebook utility and the chipset drivers first? If not the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order If you cannot find Windows 7 drivers, then try using the Vista (or XP) 32-bit drivers, for Windows 7 32-bit of the Vista (or XP) 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 64-bit and install the drivers in the Compatibility mode.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 25th, 2011 21:00

TREXME,

You said...

I am trying to format my new vostro 131 and have a clean window 7 installation. I have an external dvd-drive and I am booting the Operating system from that.

I saw the words format to have a clean installation. That usually means using the Windows 7, or Dell Data Safe disks to bring your system back to factory. That is why I suggested about installing the drivers in the correct order. The method is to tap F8 when the computer is starting from a cold shutdown. If the method does not work, you might have to use the recovery disk, mentioned in the above post about creating the disks.

I gave all the links, in case any of the methods fail, you could proceed without waiting for a response from me, since this was a busy work week for me.

If you need help, feel free to ask, I just got off work and have this weekend off.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 26th, 2011 05:00

Erdem,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back. Try downloading Malwarebytes Anti-Malware update it and do a quick scan. This will find most malware on a system, along with virus protection and help to remove the malware.

Rick

5 Posts

November 26th, 2011 05:00

Hi Rick,

Thank you for your help. I did PC restore option. Using F8 while booting and format the hard drive and bring my laptop to factory conditions. I feel much more safe now, I do not think there is a trace of any virus.

Thank you so much, and have a good weekend.

Erdem

March 30th, 2012 12:00

I am stuck on the same page as TREXME. Here's my situation:

1. Booting from a USB Key containing the contents of the Dell Reinstallation DVD (Windows 7 Pro SP1 64 bit). Made the USB Key from this guide: technet.microsoft.com/.../ff710663

2. Installing to a brand new harddrive (Samsung SSD 830 series which shows up in the BIOS) AHCI enabled.

Any suggestions?

March 30th, 2012 15:00

Got this sovled, wuuhhuuu! 

Windows 7 Pro SP1 64bit installation has no support for USB 3.0.

Hence, moved USB Flash drive to the 2.0-port, and it is installing as we speak.

1 Message

February 8th, 2013 04:00

hi, Dell Vostro V131 notebook pc drivers,  software for Windows 7 

good luck

2 Posts

May 22nd, 2014 12:00

Guys, as I've searched a Thousand pages looking for a solution, I've found that the real bad guy here is really the USB 3.0 drivers that DO NOT come bundled in the Windows boot disks and it gets lost searching for its own installation files after booting... There are 2 possible solutions: switch to a USB 2.0 usb stick and it goes like a breeze.... OR.... if you are like me and have ONLY 3.0 ports, download the 3.0 controller drivers and unzip all its files to the C: drive click search, go through the drivers you downloaded and click next, it'll find the drivers, "install them" and come back with the same error again. THIS TIME, since the drivers ARE installed, you should unplug the stick and plug it back in... click next and it should work. Easy like a fatality...

1 Message

January 22nd, 2015 02:00

I had this problem too and I moved the USB key to a non USB 3 port and the installation wizard continued..

No Events found!