Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 9th, 2008 10:00

Service Pack 1 Free Microsoft Support

Forum Users,

Here is a link to the Microsoft website to download Vista Service Pack 1. Microsoft offers free support for the Vista service pack.

Microsoft Vista SP1 Free Support

Cnet Article

x86 32bit Download
x64 64bit Download
Message Edited by DELL-FAQ on 04-09-2008 10:45 AM

If still under warranty, click the Get Help Now chat icon on the right to start a live chat session. If already out of warranty, click here.
Find your Service Tag

DELL-FAQ
#IWork4Dell

11 Posts

April 9th, 2008 15:00

good new, but i should download it or just wait till windows update do it for me?

I heard Microsoft delivered it out last month but windows update has not installed it in my system. Maybe lag or i have to do it handly?.

Thanks in advance.

2.5K Posts

April 10th, 2008 01:00

From what I've read before, SP1 was not available on Windows Update - Microsoft shelved it due to a couple of issues with Windows Update, which caused endless reboots cycles.

As far as the driver compatibility issue is concerned, it is leaving that to individual manufacturer to fix.

UPDATE

Microsoft has issued patches to update Vista prior to installing SP1.  Make sure your Vista has the patch installed before updating to SP1 via Windows Update:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937287

There is also an article on the subject not finding SP1 on Windows Update, so SP1 should be available on Windows Update now.  If not, you can always download the update and install offline manually.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=948343

Message Edited by esquire on 04-11-2008 08:30 AM

11 Posts

April 10th, 2008 05:00

ok, then I will wait, till they fix all have to fix. Thanks for your help.

10 Posts

April 20th, 2008 22:00

Moderator -- would appreciate it if you would provide us with a link to Microsoft's files referenced in their

Article ID : 942567

at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942567/ 

It's an update to Vista SP1 providing support for Bluetooth v2.1, called the Vista Feature Pack for Wireless. The document indicates that in order to get the files, we need to get it from the computer vendor - you.

Thanks!

10 Posts

April 22nd, 2008 00:00

Well, considering that Bluetooth 2.1 is almost one year old (3.0 is currently in the works), it certainly would be prudent of Dell to make available the software that Microsoft has provided it.  FWIW, I think it's wrong that Microsoft is providing the update this way -- in most cases, folks (who bought Dell's) buy aftermarket bluetooth dongles and devices (I currently use v2.0 Class 1), so it shouldn't fall on Dell's shoulders...  but that's Microsoft.  Either way, I purchased Dell computers and based upon Microsoft's release info, I expect Dell to provide the software update.

2.5K Posts

To fully utilize Bluetooth 2.1 you also need to upgrade your hardware from 2.0 to 2.1 specifications as well, which is probably why it is only available to individual vendors and not to end users

2.5K Posts

You do realize the 2.1 software update won't make your Bluetooth 2.1 compliant - it stays at version 2.0, right?

When you do upgrade to a new Bluetooth 2.1 compliant adapter, it is the vendor's responsibility to provide all the necessary updates and driver for your system, not Microsoft.  Microsoft is only easing and assisting the vendor by providing a 2.1 update that they can incorporate into their software bundle.

Message Edited by esquire on 04-22-2008 09:52 AM

10 Posts

April 22nd, 2008 02:00

Microsoft's article clearly states "To download this software update, contact the manufacturer of the computer."  This is what I'm doing.  The article does not state that it's up to the vendor of the bluetooth device to provide the update.  I'm well aware of bluetooth protocols, including the differences between the various classes within 2.0, etc., and am prepared to update my devices once I have this software.

2.5K Posts

April 22nd, 2008 03:00

Perhaps you are doing this backwards, and I think that one sentence in the article has misled you somewhat.

You need the hardware before any manufacturer will provide support and necessary updates.  It is not usual for Dell to support or provide updates for hardware that isn't installed or sold by them - no OEM in their right mind will, so at the end of the day, the support and any update must come from the vendor or manufacturer that makes your new Bluetooth 2.1 compliant adapter.  

In other words, if you buy your Bluetooth 2.1 adapter from Dell, ask Dell for the update by all means, but if you are only planning to buy the adapter from your local computer shops, you shouldn't be asking Dell for an update, for a piece of hardware that you do not have.

Message Edited by esquire on 04-22-2008 12:21 PM

7 Posts

July 21st, 2008 07:00

I have the following problem while update the important updates from Window Update:

Update for Window Vista: KB938371

Error code: WindowsUpdate_8007000D

Will this affect SP1 installation and on my Window Operating System?

If yes, where to get & how to update this item as I can't find it anywhere after the installation has failed.

Thank you.

Jeff

1 Message

August 15th, 2008 22:00

Is it true that Vista SP1 is not available on windows update?  For some reason windows update has not made it available. should I use the standalone download? or just wait?

7 Posts

August 16th, 2008 05:00

Hi Karearea,

I have settled my upgrade to SP1 using standalone version rather than waiting from microsoft update. You must make sure that your window is up to date. I have contacted the microsoft support and they guide me how to get the update before upgrade to SP1. We communicated through email and they are very helpful with detail instruction. Hope this help.

Best of luck.

Regards,

Jeff

2.2K Posts

September 14th, 2008 01:00

I have an Inspiron E-1505 with Vista Home Premium. Ran great. Was notified by windows automatic update that I was ready for SP/1. So I D/L and installed SP/1 and now this laptop is a mess. Takes 4 and 1/2 minutes to boot and half the time it does not load all my drivers and programs. Looks like it also removed all my restore points. Tried everything about everything including removing programs using msconfig and also defrag. Ran virus scans. Cannot defrag from the safe mode. Was very happy with this laptop and not it's terrible. Can SP/1 be safely removed?
Message Edited by dbramlet on 09-13-2008 09:15 PM
No Events found!