Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

January 31st, 2004 14:00

Share Printer

Hi,

I'm trying to share my printer from my desktop to my laptop which is connected using a wireless router. I installed the printer software to the laptop but I get the message "cannot locate printer" at which point I have to exit the set up.

If I look in "Printers" in the control panel the laptop shows nothing there. The laptop shows up in My Network Places under workgroup computers. So, I am at a loss as to how to get the printer to appear on the laptop. Any advice? Thanks.

638 Posts

purrplexed,

To connect to the printer from your laptop open Control Panel, and click Printers and Other Hardware. Click Add a Printer. Instead of adding a local printer, though, click Printer Connection and then browse the network for the printer.

Pamela

199 Posts

I have my printer software installed on my machine only, and in the printers and faxes folder I right clicked on the printer icon selected properties + sharing, share this printer on network and have had no problems. No printer icon shows up in the folder on the other computer either.

Message Edited by Eddj on 01-31-2004 11:23 AM

342 Posts

I have enabled sharing on the printer but cannot print from the laptop. Printer canot be found. I think my confusion lies in the "network" aspect of this. I am sharing the Internet Connection on the laptop but have never set up a home network per se.

342 Posts

January 31st, 2004 15:00

Thanks! Browsing for the Printer did the trick.

December 8th, 2004 03:00

@Pamela wrote:

purrplexed,

To connect to the printer from your laptop open Control Panel, and click Printers and Other Hardware. Click Add a Printer. Instead of adding a local printer, though, click Printer Connection and then browse the network for the printer.

Pamela

I'm having the same problem. I tried this but my laptop doesn't see the printer. Please help.
No Events found!