Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 6th, 2010 11:00

Shift F3/Changing Case

Hello/help - I have a Dell Inspiron 1564 and need to use shift F3 to change case but mine shows the battery life screen.

Is this a Dell idiosyncracy? And does Shift F3 (ie the ability to change case) exist anywhere else - and where is it - please???)

Feeling hugely frustrated and hope someone can help me.

Thanks, Euphrosene

5 Posts

September 6th, 2010 15:00

To change the case of an entire word or sentence, highlight it and press Shift F3 - except with the Dell it seems.

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

September 6th, 2010 15:00

change case????

I'm afraid I don't understand what that means.

If you want to type uppercase letters, you use the Shift key.

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

September 7th, 2010 15:00

Shift+F3 works perfectly for me on my Dell Latitude D620 and Word 2003.

If you are getting the battery life screen, then you must be hitting Fn+F3 which is the keystroke combination to display that information.

5 Posts

September 8th, 2010 07:00

I wasn't otherwise I would not have asked. I have now got the correct answer from Microsoft.  Thanks.

5 Posts

September 8th, 2010 08:00

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wordcreate/thread/f43bf524-3380-42a2-8fdd-13775780a4b4

Quote from their OP which matches mine: "That helps!  Shift and Function and F3 give me the toggle."

[In other words not just Shift & F3]

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

September 8th, 2010 09:00

I wasn't otherwise I would not have asked. I have now got the correct answer from Microsoft.  Thanks.

That answer that you marked as "the correct answer" is exactly what I told you. Fn+F3 key gives you the battery info. Shift+F3 gives you the change in case that you want.

5 Posts

September 8th, 2010 10:00

Look I appreciate you taking the time to respond, but your suggestion is not the solution that works for me.

You said:  "That answer that you marked as "the correct answer" is exactly what I told you. Fn+F3 key gives you the battery info. Shift+F3 gives you the change in case that you want.

Wrong!

And I most certainly did not purposely mark it as correct.

What works for me is Fn+Shift+F3 - ie all three.

I have tried it several times both ways and only the three together toggles text.

Thanks again but I have posted this to avoid confusion for any others looking in.

1 Message

March 17th, 2018 05:00

I recently upgraded to a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 series with Windows 10 - Word 2016. This is exactly the answer that worked for me as well Fn + Shift + F3 altogether. Thank you!

2 Posts

December 7th, 2018 03:00

It means that your fn key has been locked exactly like the case lock key or the num lock key. you must disable it before you can use Shift+F3 correctly in MS Word. In my case (Dell inspiron 5570), the Fn locked is on the Esc key. Press Fn+Esc to disable the padlock. And you will get back to normal Shift+F3 working in MS Word. If it is not working it means that you Fn key is still locked. Find the "F Lock" or "Fn Lock", then disable it by pressing Fn+ "the found key", and the default behaviors of your F keys will be reversed.

July 5th, 2019 04:00

Thanks. I was also facing the same problem. This has just worked for me. Thanks again!!!!

1 Message

September 9th, 2019 05:00

my device is Inspiron 15 3567 -in this shortcut key for uppercase i.e shift+fn+f3 not working and as said anyone that by unlocking ESC it can work but it too is not working what's the solution ?

5 Posts

June 19th, 2020 02:00

WRONG. You aren't reading his question NOR his responses; then rudely arguing with him (or her!). wow!

5 Posts

HA!  i spoke too soon, these 3 keys together does NOT work either, for me. arrggggghhhh

5 Posts

Yes! I also thank you @euphrosene ...  Can't believe i had to go back to a 10-YEAR old convo to find this answer bc there is, like, zero readily-found guidance on these shortcuts! and friggin' Dell is the only keyboard in the world that doesn't use Shft-F3 LOL!! ANd --in the end, it was MS, Not Dell who showed *you the way anyway!! smh, Geesh. Thx again for sharing with us :):)

~KK

5 Posts

June 20th, 2020 09:00

Ha, never mind again-- it does work but it seems within Word anyway, not at a keyb. level for all message platforms....

No Events found!