Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 19th, 2009 19:00

Should I Upgrade to IE8?

I like IE7 but have read some good things about IE8, written by Microsoft of course.

If you have upgraded to IE8 and like it, please give me some feedback.  One of the drawbacks I have found with IE7 and Firefox is that they can be slow at times.  I have read that IE8 is faster.  Have you found it to be faster than the other browsers?  Does it handle feeds and bookmarks well?

Thank you for any information.

Nissi1

3.6K Posts

January 19th, 2009 20:00

I ran IE8 BETA when it was first offered a while ago,and have since uninstalled it.I encountered problems with windows live toolbar(at that time)it was not compatable,basically was forced to disable that add-on.Had a couple other issues with windows live but i can't remember what those were.As far as being a stable browser,yes and no,there were times when it would hang up just like any other app. but it was frequently happening once the very first hang up occurred,and i could not figure it out.My A/V app. did not like IE8 either(Mcafee security suite).I ran it for about 6 maybe 7 months before i uninstalled.

1.1K Posts

January 20th, 2009 05:00

I have installed and used 8 for a while and can't really notice a difference in speed or anything from IE7.  Seems to be pretty much the same except a few cosmetic changes.  I usually use Firefox as that does seem faster than IE7 or 8. 

322 Posts

January 27th, 2009 16:00

Good evening,

Thank you for your answers.  I am very happy to see 2 names I recognize from the old forum.:emotion-2:

dgkpcon,

When you uninstalled IE8 did you reinstall IE7 and where did you find the download?  I thought of trying IE8, however I noticed Microsoft removed IE7 for Vista from its website.  Neither could I find it on Download.com and a few other websites.

eskymi,

I also use Firefox but I continue to use IE7 (security blanket?).  There are some aspects of FF that I do not quite understand.  The Script is #1.  Sure I know how to Temporarily allow this page but not much else.  Also I prefer the way IE has its Favorites, Feeds and History, close but separate.  But as you said, most times I find FF to be faster than IE. 

Nissi1

3.6K Posts

January 27th, 2009 17:00

Hello,and good evening,

No IE7 was as it was before IE8 installed.I went thru programs and features to uninstall it,then thru mcafee(controls all my programs).And it was like IE7 was never touched all favorites,feeds etc.. were intact.The first time i installed was from a google search(had to uninstall this one,bugs in the app),so i went to microsofts site and installed.

google Internet Explorer 8,this should come back with plenty of hits,don't install ANY from softpedia,that is where i got the buggy IE8 from.This is from microsoft,  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/Internet-explorer/beta/default.aspx   .And at the bottom of the link you will see installs for IE7,and IE6(if needed).

EDIT:Now that you have brought this up about IE8,i have just now installed IE8 again(RC1),not BETA this time.Everything seems to be compatible now,it just updated everything,windows live,live sign in,facebook,etc..It installs like SP1 does in 3 stages now.So far everything seems to be running fine,including the problomatic items that were with the BETA release.Silverlight is working 100% also,i think i will keep IE8 this go around,now all i need is the final release of this and final release of vista SP2 and every app. should run smooth.

3.6K Posts

January 27th, 2009 20:00

You too,

And yes it does upgrade windows live to a compatible version with IE8.The old live is incompatible.Silverlight is just like this new dell forum web 2.0 junk.

322 Posts

January 27th, 2009 20:00

Good evening  dgkpcon,

Yes, I read today that IE8 was out of beta.  I wonder if uninstalling it now will automatically result in a return to IE7. 

On one hand the way Microsoft's programs work together is a good thing and on the hand, not so good.  I use Window Live Mail, but from what I read and saw of the new version, I want no parts of it.  It sounds as if installing IE8 will upgrade WLM.  I also once installed Silverlight, but for the life of me, I still do not understand what it was suppose to do!

I noticed you listed SP2 in your signature.  Right after which I read an article about Windows 7 and in it was information about SP2.  Tonight was the first time I heard of it.  You are ahead of the game.

Have a blessed evening,

Nissi1

370 Posts

January 28th, 2009 08:00

The beta of IE8 is done; the RC1 released last week and is getting pretty good reviews.  But remember, it's still not the final product. Sorry, can't give you my own impressions yet, but plan to try it out soon.

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/01/26/microsoft-releases-internet-explorer-8-rc1

Edit: Sorry, I missed the page 2 comments that already discussed RC1.  (I hate this new forum's layout...)

322 Posts

January 28th, 2009 09:00

Good morning RChris,

Thank you for the information.

Nissi1

FYI:   I am informing those who have Verizon's 768k DSL and may not have heard of Verizon's Free upgrade to 1M.   They only need to call and request it.

February 13th, 2009 11:00

Hi, my name’s Cody, and I’m working with the Internet Explorer Outreach Team to help answer questions that users might have about Internet Explorer.
I saw you all were talking about Internet Explorer 8 RC1, but didn’t see a link for the download.    Here’s that link:  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/download-ie.aspx?ocid=ie8_sm_a
If anyone has any questions about the IE8 RC1 version of the browser, or if there are any particular issues I can help with, please feel free to let me know, and I’ll help out as best as I can!
Thanks,
Cody
Internet Explorer Outreach Team

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

March 19th, 2009 08:00

Hi Nissi1,

Be advised that a "finalized" version of IE8 (post release-candidate status) is expected to be released today, 19 March, at 12 Noon, Eastern DST.

I have been testing Release Candidate 1, and while it certainly offers much potential, my personal experience was that it suffered from several compatibility issues, and was also prone to freezing.   Hopefully, at least some (if not all) of these flaws will be fixed in today's finalized release.

For more of my comments, see http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19264568.aspx

322 Posts

March 19th, 2009 15:00

Hello All,

Not only am I grateful for the information provided, but also it is a pleasure to hear from members  of the Original Dell forum who were beneficial to me during the first 2 years of owning my first computer. 

As time goes on, some days IE7 performs as it should and other days it is slow; the same goes for FF.  I would like to try IE8 (thank you Cody for the links), but I think I will wait a little longer while more of the kinks are worked out.:emotion-1:

Continued blessings,

Nissi1

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

March 21st, 2009 11:00

I am going to try to install IE8 on xp of my dual boot. I had played about with the beta before and it gave me a few problems. I had played about with windows 7 beta and it seemed to run fine on that.

4.6K Posts

IE8 'Final' was released on the day you put up your last post there Nissi1 (19th March), which would suggest the [major] kinks have been worked out :emotion-5:

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

IE8 'Final' was released... which would suggest the [major] kinks have been worked out.

Not necessarily so.... there are already reports that several of the changes introduced into the "final" version have in fact made it more problematic than RC1... so much so, that many of the impacted users believe this version should have been designated as RC2, rather than a "final" release.

322 Posts

March 21st, 2009 17:00

Good evening to you all,

Your opinions have been very helpful.

It was "interesting" hearing of Microsoft's launch of Internet Explorer 8 on the news all day Thursday.  The browser competition must be fierce.

Eventually, as more of the kinks are worked out I will upgrade to IE8.  I am looking forward to using a faster browser.   But I also have another concern; having Windows Live Mail updated.  I have had the opportunity to use the new version of WLM and I really dislike it.  I understand that  after downloading IE8, WLM will also eventually update to its newer version. 

dgkpcon, you mentioned using Silverlight.  I have yet to understand what Silverlight does.  Would you mind explaining how you used this application?

Thank you all for the information.

No Events found!