ky331
6 Indium

Re: Should I Upgrade to IE8?

Hi Nissi1,

Be advised that a "finalized" version of IE8 (post release-candidate status) is expected to be released today, 19 March, at 12 Noon, Eastern DST.

I have been testing Release Candidate 1, and while it certainly offers much potential, my personal experience was that it suffered from several compatibility issues, and was also prone to freezing.   Hopefully, at least some (if not all) of these flaws will be fixed in today's finalized release.

For more of my comments, see http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19264568.aspx

Free Internet Security - WOT Web of Trust       Use OpenDNS       MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), Panda DOME 18.7.4, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, OpenDNS Family Shield, SpywareBlaster, MVPS HOSTS file, MBAE Premium, MCShield, WinPatrol PLUS, SAS (on-demand scanner), Zemana AntiLogger Free, Microsoft EDGE, Firefox, Pale Moon, uBlock Origin, CryptoPrevent.

[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

0 Kudos
Nissi1
3 Zinc

Hello All,

Not only am I grateful for the information provided, but also it is a pleasure to hear from members  of the Original Dell forum who were beneficial to me during the first 2 years of owning my first computer. 

As time goes on, some days IE7 performs as it should and other days it is slow; the same goes for FF.  I would like to try IE8 (thank you Cody for the links), but I think I will wait a little longer while more of the kinks are worked out.:emotion-1:

Continued blessings,

Nissi1

0 Kudos
TheRealFireblad
5 Rhenium

IE8 'Final' was released on the day you put up your last post there Nissi1 (19th March), which would suggest the [major] kinks have been worked out emoticon.Wink.title

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
Integrated 2MP Webcam
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
6 Indium

I am going to try to install IE8 on xp of my dual boot. I had played about with the beta before and it gave me a few problems. I had played about with windows 7 beta and it seemed to run fine on that.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
ky331
6 Indium

IE8 'Final' was released... which would suggest the [major] kinks have been worked out.

Not necessarily so.... there are already reports that several of the changes introduced into the "final" version have in fact made it more problematic than RC1... so much so, that many of the impacted users believe this version should have been designated as RC2, rather than a "final" release.

Free Internet Security - WOT Web of Trust       Use OpenDNS       MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), Panda DOME 18.7.4, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, OpenDNS Family Shield, SpywareBlaster, MVPS HOSTS file, MBAE Premium, MCShield, WinPatrol PLUS, SAS (on-demand scanner), Zemana AntiLogger Free, Microsoft EDGE, Firefox, Pale Moon, uBlock Origin, CryptoPrevent.

[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

0 Kudos
Nissi1
3 Zinc

Good evening to you all,

Your opinions have been very helpful.

It was "interesting" hearing of Microsoft's launch of Internet Explorer 8 on the news all day Thursday.  The browser competition must be fierce.

Eventually, as more of the kinks are worked out I will upgrade to IE8.  I am looking forward to using a faster browser.   But I also have another concern; having Windows Live Mail updated.  I have had the opportunity to use the new version of WLM and I really dislike it.  I understand that  after downloading IE8, WLM will also eventually update to its newer version. 

dgkpcon, you mentioned using Silverlight.  I have yet to understand what Silverlight does.  Would you mind explaining how you used this application?

Thank you all for the information.

0 Kudos
TheRealFireblad
5 Rhenium

I have yet to understand what Silverlight does.  Would you mind explaining how you used this application?

You'd be best advised going to the official Silverlight FAQ's page, to find out emoticon.Idea.title

You can get a brief introduction to it with this short (2:25) video though - 'All about Microsoft Silverlight' emoticon.Wink.title

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
Integrated 2MP Webcam
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

0 Kudos
Nissi1
3 Zinc

Hello TheRealFireblade,

It is good to hear from you again also.

Thank you for the information and the beautiful way it was composed.

Nissi1

0 Kudos
Highlighted
SEFrost
2 Iron

Running Vista Home Premium. I installed IE 8 and the installation went off without any problems. I found that on many web sites, the imbedded links wouldn't go anywhere. On webs sites that worked, IE 8 did seem a little faster. However, I have since uninstalled it (without any problems) and now all links on every web page work just fine.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Nissi1
3 Zinc

Hello SEFrost,

I finally took the plunge and downloaded IE8 this morning.  As you stated, the installation went off without any problems. However, IE7 stopped working 4 times.  At one point I received a DEP warning.  I have owned this computer for 2 years and have never received a DEP warning; although I am aware of it.  Also, I do not find IE8 to be faster than IE7 and the appearance, which is similar to Microsoft's new Hotmail, has a flat no depth or shadows look.

I want to uninstall IE8, however it is not listed on the Uninstall page.  How do I uninstall IE8 and reinstall IE7?

Thank you,

Nissi1

0 Kudos