Re: Should I call Dell

todd_l,

I was able to confirm that Windows 7 upgrades are being shipped based on when the order for the upgrade was received.  Currently we don't have a firm ETA on when those orders will ship, but Dell is working to expedite the process, and the situation should improve soon.

0 Kudos
brh1973
1 Copper

Final question I hope.  When is the order status updated?  Midnight, noon, random?

0 Kudos
todd_l
1 Nickel

good question, since mine has been blank since the 22nd, I have no idea.  I check a few 2-3 times a day.

0 Kudos
Regster
1 Nickel

I hope you have better luck then me. I've been trying to get my user ID / Password resetted since early September 2009 (2 months). So fare, 8 emails and two phone calls have resulted in no action. I know I have registered properly but the account doesn't let me login to update my free upgrade to Windows 7.

I'm at a lost on what to do next???

Reg

0 Kudos
um_what
1 Nickel

Regster - I am going to assume that you have already done this, but I have to ask anyway.  Have you clicked on the forgot password link and if so what happens?  I believe that this is the link https://win7.dell.com/PasswordRecovery.aspx.  Also what browser are you using and do you have any special settings or programs that may cause a problem?  I am just thinking that I have seen some sites where things may not work as expected in IE6, but will be just fine using Firefox.  I also do not know if some antispyware programs might cause a problem.

I am sure that you have already gone down this road, but it does not hurt to verify. 

Good luck.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
um_what
1 Nickel

I was able to confirm that Windows 7 upgrades are being shipped based on when the order for the upgrade was received.

That is great news.  Thanks for tracking this down.

Now if we could only find out where we fall in that list.  emoticon.Smile.title  I was able to place my order on the 21st so I am hopeful that I will be hearing something soon.  See now you have gone and got me all excited.  Shame on you emoticon.Stickouttongue.title

0 Kudos
todd_l
1 Nickel

Well if you got in on the 21st, hopefully you are soon.  Please keep the rest of us posted.  I'm in the 22nd 11:00 a.m. CDT group.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
nyrnd
2 Iron

High Demand!   People have been registering for 3 months for this upgrade.  You had to know the number of people that registered, so don't use the high demand stuff.  Now the people that forgot to register and are all now registering, well that is something you'll have to sort out, but don't penalize me who registered 3 months ago!  I have never received an email!  I did figure out I had to order it so I did on the 22nd.  My order status has not changed one bit since then.  I have my order number and everything.  I wonder how fast I would get a new PC if I ordered it with Windows 7?  I wonder if I would get emails, etc. along the way?  Yeah, I know the answer to that.  I hope you are taking care of your existing customers first when they order the upgrade before you ship a new computer out. 

0 Kudos
um_what
1 Nickel

nyrnd - I think that the high demand statement is probably the most valid argument I have seen yet.  I did a little digging into the sales numbers for Dell.  Now these numbers are for the fiscal year that ended in July, but I think they will work for this. I found them here

So according to the filing, Dell shipped 43 Million units last year.  If you break this down by quarter that is 10.75 million units.  So I think that we can say that since this promotion started they most likely sold at least this number of units, many of them eligible for the Windows 7 upgrade.  So lets say that of the 10.75 million units that were sold in this period, 30% of those individuals registered for the upgrade already.  That gives us a number of around 3.225 million copies of Windows that will need to be sent out.  I think that it is safe to say that these numbers are very conservative, 

Netflix has 10 distribution centers around the country that only sends and receives their movies, and they only average 1.9 million movies a day.   So to think that Dell stood up a temporary distribution center that has the ability to send out 3.225 million copies of Windows 7 in one or two days is crazy. 

We are all waiting for our copies of the upgrade, but I think we all need to be patient.  I am sure that they are working as hard as they can to get the copies out as quickly as they can.

0 Kudos
um_what
1 Nickel

OH THE JOY!!!

I just looked on the win7.dell.com site and my status now says shipped!  Of course clicking on the tracking number provided takes me to a 404 page, but I don't care.  I am just happy to know that my upgrade is on its way. 

In case it helps I placed my order on 10/21/09 at 11am CST.  Hopefully you will not be far behind.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos