Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 9th, 2004 15:00

Slipstream XP SP2

Does anyone know how to slipstream SP2 onto the Dell-specific Windows XP Home (Re)installation disk? I found some general instructions by searching Google, but I am unsure on how the slipstream would affect the Dell disk.

9 Posts

@Denny Denham wrote:

The copy of XP on the Dell Reinstallation CD is the same as any copy of XP. You do not slipstream XP SP2 onto that CD, you create a new CD.

I understand that I do not slipstream onto the CD; rather, I create a new CD by copying the files located on the Dell CD to my hard drive and slipstreaming SP2 into that directory.  My question is this: will this have any adverse affects with the Dell-specific files located on the orignal CD (that will be located on the new CD)? 

Message Edited by Aiua on 08-09-2004 10:28 AM

18.8K Posts

Aiua,

The copy of XP on the Dell Reinstallation CD is the same as any copy of XP. You do not slipstream XP SP2 onto that CD, you create a new CD.

August 11th, 2004 18:00

I tried to slipstream SP2 but I get an error message:

"This Service Pack cannot be integrated into a destination that also has integrated Software Updates.

Consult the Service Pack documentation for more details about supported integration scenarios."

I assume this is referring to all the stuff Dell includes? Is there any way around this?

9 Posts

August 12th, 2004 04:00

@MisterB1986 wrote:
I tried to slipstream SP2 but I get an error message:

"This Service Pack cannot be integrated into a destination that also has integrated Software Updates.

Consult the Service Pack documentation for more details about supported integration scenarios."

I assume this is referring to all the stuff Dell includes? Is there any way around this?

Others are experiencing the same problem (including myself); however, there are problems slipstreaming SP2 using the method mentioned (the main issue: all the files from SP1 are on the new SP2 disk).  I am working on discovering a solution where the new disk will only contain the files for SP2.  I will post a soultion as soon as I have it.

9 Posts

August 14th, 2004 21:00

I have posted instructions on how to integrate SP2 with a Dell (Re)installation Disk.

2 Posts

September 17th, 2004 19:00

Hello,

I tried these directions with XP Professional and it allowed the /integration switch to successfully merge SP2 in.  However, after burning the CD and attempting to use it (15 times now), it keeps finding missing DLL and SYS files.

Does anyone know how to get these slipstreamed successfully?

Thanks,

Rann Sanders, MCSE, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCP, CCA

IT Manager

Lee, Smart, Cook, Martin & Patterson PS Inc.

4.4K Posts

September 17th, 2004 21:00

I found Autostreamer worked well to slipstream SP2 into XPSP1 Dell OEM CD.

Some problems have been reported with XP Pro disks that had some individual hotfixes added by Dell

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=188337

has dowmload and long thread relating amongst others to Dell OEM disks.

2 Posts

September 17th, 2004 21:00

Thank-you very much!  I'll give it a go.

Rann

24 Posts

September 20th, 2004 17:00

Have you (JRosenfeld,  or anyone else who reported success using Autostreamer) tried running your Slipstreamed CD?  I used Autostreamer as well and it created the .iso image file which I mirrored on to a CD.  I then tested the CD by trying to run it from Windows. It opened with the Install menu like it should, but when I clicked on "Install XP", I got an error message saying that the Version I was trying to install was older than my installed version.  A look at the files on my Autostreamed CD showed that while many of the folders had the date of the slipstreaming, the files they contained had the same date as the original Dell XPHE SP1 CD.  The .iso file was only 524 MB instead of the 576MB that people with a working slipstreamed version have reported.  So I believe that the merge never took place.  Are you sure it took place for you?

The SP2 file that I used for Autostreamer was from the MS SP2 CD (file called XPSP2.exe).  Is that the file you used, or did you use the downloaded one?

I also tried the manual slipstreaming method as described on http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=47212312 and got the same error received by others saying that I cannot merge into an already integrated version of the OS.

Message Edited by bobjbkln on 09-20-2004 01:11 PM

Message Edited by bobjbkln on 09-20-2004 01:13 PM

4.4K Posts

September 21st, 2004 21:00

I have not tried a fresh install from the slipstreamed disk, as I have only one PC and everything is fine with my system and I don't really want to try just for the sake of it.

I can certainly boot from either disk and set up starts normally. I think it's OK, because  I did check that on the slipstreamed CD the I386 folder and its subfolders contain SP2 versions of most files (about 1900 all told), so I'm pretty sure the slipstreaming went OK.

I made another slipstreamed disk using another method

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=295

with identical results as far as the I386 folder is concerned. That method also updated Support tools and deploy.cab to SP2 and added the boot files (their method does not make an iso image, you burn the files directly to CD).

My Dell OEM disk was XP SP1 home, P/N 5W623.

There were some problems reporeted with other Dell OEM disks that included some post SP1 hot fixes.

24 Posts

September 22nd, 2004 00:00

I think your CD version is the explanation why it works for you and newer ones like mine (R2490) do not.  It has to do with whether you have a CD with XP or XP SP1 (works) or XP SP1a (fails).  From reading other links in this forum I see that if your CD has an I386/SVCPACK folder and an I386/SVCPACK.INF file, the slipstream will fail.  If your CD has instead a I386/SVCPACK.IN_ file and does not have an I386/SVCPACK folder, it will work. 

Message Edited by bobjbkln on 09-21-2004 08:11 PM

4.4K Posts

September 22nd, 2004 23:00

That seems likely. My CD does not have an svcpack folder and does have the svcpack.in_ file in I386 folder. However I think that that is not related to SP1a (=SP1 - MS VM), but to other hotfixes that your CD contains in that svcpack

I expanded the svcpack,in_ file to svcpack.inf and its contents are:

[Version]
Signature="$Windows NT$"

[SetupData]
CatalogSubDir="i386\hotfixes"

[ProductCatalogsToInstall]

[SetupHotfixesToRun]

The folder I386\hotfixes does not exist on my CD. So obviously that inf file would not do anything even if called during the setup. Presumably it is included for editing in case additional hotfixes are added to the CD. Not having the svcpack.in_ file should therefore not affect anything, I think.

Presumably your svcpack.inf file points to svcpack folder and the hotfixes in there?

You could try deleting the svcpack folder and the svcpack.inf file after you've copied the CD contents to your hard drive. Then point autostreamer to the location on the hard drive.

Message Edited by JRosenfeld on 09-23-2004 01:33 AM

24 Posts

September 22nd, 2004 23:00

Based on the information I found the link provided on one of the earlier posts on this thread (link = http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=sw_svcpacks&message.id=245 ), I followed exactly what you said.  I deleted the SVCPACK folder and the SVCPACK.INF file and replaced it with someone else's SVCPACK.IN_ file, which solved the problem.  So I do not know if simply deleting the hotfix references in the SVCPACK.INF file in notepad and changing the filename would solve the problem as the IN_ file has some binary code at the beginning of the file that the INF file does not have.  In any case, I hope that others with slipstreaming problems can learn from this thread and know that there is a workaround.

3 Posts

October 1st, 2004 19:00

Has anyone managed to slipstream XP SP2 with OEM Dell -  XP Home (disc name XP2_Home_ENG), P/N 6U790 (dated 6/25/2002)?  I don't find the files that are listed for Dell P/N R2490.

24 Posts

October 2nd, 2004 02:00

You should not have a problem with the older versions of the Dell XP OEM CD.  It is the newest version of SP1a that had the problem for which I reported a fix that some had discovered.
No Events found!