Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

December 23rd, 2007 17:00

Slow Windows Media Player (Vista)

With my camcorder, I take and capture a lot of video to my laptop.  Why does it take the WMP 10 to 15 seconds to begin whenever I click on a file to view it?  This never happened with XP.  This is really annoying.

I also understand that when the first Vista service pack comes out soon, it will fix almost nothing. 

Thanks,
Dave

12.7K Posts

December 23rd, 2007 23:00

Welcome to Vista, the ol "changing media" lag.  Probably caused by all the DRM built into Vista.

10 Posts

December 24th, 2007 05:00

Vista SP RC1 corrects this.  You can install it here if you want:

It takes about a half hour.  It is in a very stable release candidate beta.  The fix is very noticable.  The media changing delay goes away and stuff starts instantly.

Message Edited by Qutsemnie on 12-24-2007 01:30 AM

1.1K Posts

December 24th, 2007 11:00

I don't have a problem with VIDEOS, I click on a video that I have on my computer and it plays immediately. The only "problem" ie, inconvenience I see is that the first song I click on takes 8-10 seconds to start, but after that they all play one after the other.

I know that SP1 will fix this, but I can wait. I mean we are talking about 10 seconds. It's not like it is taking 1 or 2 minutes. I guess I am not as important as most people, as 10 seconds isn't that big of a deal for me. And just for the record I opened a song on my XP machine before taking it down and putting it on the shelf and it took 4 seconds to start, so the differnce was six seconds. Which is about the time it would take the average reader to read my last sentence.

December 24th, 2007 17:00

Right click on the sound icon on the taskbar and select playback devices, click on the playback device in the window
and click properties the speakers/headphones properties window opens click on the enhancements tab and check
the box Disable all enhancements click ok on each window to configure the setting. That should stop the delay
when opening tracks.

Inspiron 1501

MK36 AMD Turion

2 GB RAM

ATI 200MSeries

Vista Build 6001

No Events found!