Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

July 12th, 2004 16:00

Slow, slow computer

On my Dimension 4600 with Windows XP, my trial version of Norton Internet Security expired (the one that came with the computer), so I went ahead and paid for the full version. However, when I tried to install it, I kept getting error messages. Dell's tech support couldn't help...they blamed it on Norton. Norton couldn't help...they blamed it on Dell and/or Microsoft (imagine that!)

So...I backed up all my important stuff to my wifes old Windows 98 computer via my home network...one monster zip file at about 1.5 gigs in size (her hard drive is only four gigs to start with...she ran out of room while holding my file for me). Then, I re-formatted my hard drive.

I spent three days of formatting, installing the things that originally came with the PC (at least the programs I really wanted), then hooking up the network. Everything was going fine while installing everything until I got to the Norton program again. It installed ok, but once it did, suddenly my relatively fast PC became very, very, very, very slow! I just knew it couldn't be the Norton program, so was uninstalling programs, checking the speed, then reinstalling them. Once I uninstalled Norton, everything sped back up. Bummer!

However, it's still not quite there. Some of the program I run all the time, such as Zuma (a game at msn.games.com) and Wheel of Fortune (a version I paid for and downloaded, also from msn.games.com) have always run very fast and smooth in the past. Now, they are fast, but very jerky, which tells me there is still something slowing my machine down. Just can't figure out what it is. And my productivity software (MS Office 2003) used to open so fast you barely saw the splash screens, but now takes 3-5 seconds to get past the splash screens. Not very long for most, but much, much slower than it used to be.

My computer is an Intel 4 with a 2.8gig processor, and came with 512mg of DDR SDRAM memory at 333mhz, made up of two memory sticks at 256mg each. I just ordered two sticks of 512mg DDR SDRAM at 333mhz, which will triple my memory to 1,536mg. Hopefully, that will speed my machine back up enough that I can run my games and other porgrams without the jerkiness, and reinstall my Norton Internet Security program without slowing things down.

Any opinions out there??  Anything else I should be looking for?  I have nothing new on my machine that wasn't there before the reformatting, and it ran just fine then.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 12th, 2004 19:00

Michael,

I don't have the magic wand to fix your PC.

But, I wonder if there is still something that is/was conflicting with Norton.  I have Norton NIS 2004 installed on one of my XP PC's (an old PII) and the PII runs slow to start with and there isn't any noticeable difference with or without Norton NIS 2004.  However, there have been a few other posts about Norton 2004 slowing down PC's.

When you reinstalled all of the software, did you reformat the hard drive (to NTFS, FAT32) first?  Also, did you install the Dell Chipset drivers along with the Dell drivers for the hardware?  And, most of the hardware needs to use Dell drivers only, e.g. the SoundBlaster sound cards that Dell supplies are special OEM versions made only for Dell with custom functions, if you try to use the Retail drivers or let Windows install it's generic drivers the sound card will either not function or not function correctly.

Since the system, without Norton, appears to still have some issues, get those resolved before trying Norton again.  Windows XP has a built in Firewall (incoming only) and if it's activated and the Norton NIS firewall is activated there can be conflicts, so turn off the Windows XP firewall before you reinstall Norton.  But, you really need to have an Antivirus and Firewall running AT ALL TIMES when you are on-line.  Without it, it only opens your PC to viruses, worms, hackers gaining access through open ports, etc.  There has been issues of worms/viruses infecting PC's and slowing them down considerably as potentially someone could install a program that makes your PC a server for whatever uses.

21 Posts

July 12th, 2004 22:00

Thank you for your thoughts.  All are very valid ideas, and, fortunately or unfortunately, however you want to look at it, I already thought of all those with the possible exception of the XP firewall you mentioned.

I did reformat the hard drive (NTFS) before installing my programs, and used only the Dell-supplied disks to install the software that came with my PC, including the chipset and hardware drivers. 

The firewall bit intrigues me...my netgear router also has a built in firewall, so I'm wondering now if the combined firewalls from XP and the router are contributing to the slowdown.  I honestly can't remember how I set the XP firewall, and currently am at work.  I'll have to check it when I get home tonight.

Thanks again.  You've given me something to think about while I wait for Norton to reply to my post, too.

In the meantime...hurry up memory!  I ordered extra directly from Dell yesterday, so my memory will go from 512 to 1536...hopefully that, too, will help.

Thanks,

Michael

July 13th, 2004 12:00

Norton firewall has recently caused problems with  programs that have web access, causing extreme slow downs.  This has happened in some of the 2002, 2003, 2004 firewall programs.  I had to completely remove the Norton product to fix the problem.  My computor would take 15 minutes to start a web site.  If you still have some Norton garbage left after an uninstall, a tool can be found on their support site, (use search) to remove the remains.  Install the free version of Zone Labs until you find the program you want.  Since I have Road Runner service, I am using their free EZ Armor firewall.  This program is not bad, but is harder to use than the old Norton product I used since 2002.

21 Posts

July 13th, 2004 17:00

Thanks for your input.  This sounds very similar to a couple of other emails I got this morning.  Looks like that's what I'm gonna need to do.  It's a shame, since I just paid for the Norton program last Friday, there's probably no way in the world I'll ever get THAT money back! 

rhodesmk

1 Message

July 13th, 2004 20:00

paindoc suggested "If you still have some Norton garbage left after an uninstall, a tool can be found on their support site, (use search) to remove the remains." 

Do they have a tool to remove the tool?

Message Edited by Cougar__ on 07-13-2004 04:53 PM

July 14th, 2004 00:00

Hi.  I left the download tool.exe on my desktop and shoved it into the wastebin when done.  There are removal tools for Norton AV and firewalls.  They work and do not cause a problem.  If you can't find it let me know.  Searching for firewall (year) removal tool will get it for you from Norton 's no support page.  Only use it if the standard removal doesn't work.  (it won't.)  That firewall cost me a week of time and I have had to eat the renewal fee.  At the moment I am anti-symantic!
No Events found!