Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

July 10th, 2003 11:00

Slow start with Latitude D600 and Win2K and odd command prompt issue

When starting, it takes an extraordinarily long time to start windows.  The boot goes through the "starting windows" screen quickly enough, but then it shows a blank desktop screen (just before the Login prompt) for about 2 minutes. 

The machine is fast enough and has enough RAM.  I assume that there must be some registry key that is incorrect.  

Second problem is that the command prompt comes up to a mapped drive, N: which shouldn't be a problem, but when I try to do a ping use any other system tool, it indicates that the command doesn't exist...until I change the drive to c:\winnt\system32\ I cannot use any of those commands. 

The "path" in the command prompt:

PATH=%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Fi
les\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec Sha
red\System;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\BINN;C:\aereader\BLUE

Any ideas on either problem?

12 Posts

August 5th, 2003 10:00

I have the same problem on two new D600's after using windows update. Any ideas?

2 Posts

August 5th, 2003 11:00

i've solved the second issue, but still have a very slow start. 

4 Posts

August 7th, 2003 15:00

We recently purchased 9 D600s, and all of them are having the slow boot symptoms the OP mentioned.  I can say with confidence now that it's because of the Windows Critical Updates.  Dell and Microsoft need to collaborate on this issue and fast. 

TO DELL :  Take a D600 out of a box with Windows 2KP, and boot it up.  No noticeable problems.  Then download all of the MS Critical Updates, and then see what happens.  I'll bet money it'll happen to you too, and then you'll realize  there's a real problem.

Mike

12 Posts

August 11th, 2003 05:00

I experimented with a clean factory image and installing just SP4 from windows update causes the problem of no login screen for 1-2mins. We have 6 D600's and it would be nice to get a fix.

2 Posts

August 25th, 2003 15:00

I have the same issue with a new D600 here. I didn't notice the issue when I first started it up, but after applying Windows 2K SP4, it sits at the blank blue desktop for 2 minutes before bringing up the logon screen.

2 Posts

September 4th, 2003 11:00

If your Dell Latitude D600 shows you a blank screen (between 45 and 110sec.) while booting, try the following (OS: Win2000pro):

1) Update your BIOS to A06
2) In BIOS: Switch Wireless Control to "Always Off"
3) Deactivate the "Adapter Switching Service"
4) Uninstall the Bluetoth network adapter
5) Deactivate "Lan Connection 2" ("Intel(R) Pro/Wireless 2100 LAN miniPCI Adapter")

Now the time the blank screen appears should be reduced to 20sec. The Problem is not fixed completely and my hints do not help you if you need WLan on your notebook. But perhaps there are some poeple who can use my tips, and 20sec. are better than 110sec.

2 Posts

September 4th, 2003 16:00

Thanks Brummer - that reduced my boot time tremendously. Since we do not use a WLAN here, I disabled the wireless NIC prior to SP4. I had boot issues, so tried BIOS upgrade. I looked at MS and Dell KB, and no clues. Your tips helped me.

I did not know about the switching service. Eventlog reported that hanging. Making that manual did it, but I disabled in BIOS for extra good measure. I am sure there will be a Dell/MS fix sometime to rightly resolve the issue, but you saved me some face with the users. ("you bought us a slow computer...")

For extra good measure, I went My Computer/Properties, and changed the boot delay to 5 seconds instead of 30.

Walter

2 Posts

September 23rd, 2003 16:00

Exactly!  What's the point of having the wireless if you can't use it?  I spoke with a Dell help desk software tech about this yesterday and referred them to this discussion.  I told him that a work-around is not sufficient and that we need a fix.  I would urge anyone else with this problem to call in and report it.  The number is 800-624-9896, option 3.  Don't hit any more buttons after the 3.  Just hold until you get a human and tell them you need to speak with a software tech.  If enough people report the problem, they will have to address it.

2 Posts

September 23rd, 2003 16:00

Unfortunately, this procedure is not an option for us, since our user of this machine uses the WLAN almost exclusively. A fix from Dell and/or Microsoft for this unacceptable problem would be nice.

1.3K Posts

September 23rd, 2003 18:00

All,

You can also post this in the Portables boards and see what others there can tell you.

2 Posts

September 23rd, 2003 22:00

Where might I find the Portables board?

12 Posts

September 24th, 2003 05:00

Disabling the adapter switching service alone did the trick for me - didn't disable WLAN or bluetooth. I am using C400 with internal WLAN and it doesn't have that service at all, only the D series does. The Intel driver even has an option for disabling the adapter switching.

In summary the WLAN still made a connection to an AP even if the switching service was disabled. Hope this is of any help.

2 Posts

September 24th, 2003 10:00

Then try doing everything except disable the WLan - components. Just a BIOS-Update fixes the problem sometimes, too.

8 Posts

January 15th, 2004 13:00

From what I can work out, there are 2 issues at work here.

Firstly the motherboard wireless configuration appears to greatly affect the time to boot to the login screen. Disabling this component in the BIOS brings the boot to the login up to a acceptable speed. The speed of login is then influenced by something else. Initially, I found that disabling the Print Spooler in the services resulted in the 45 second pause post login to disappear. Loading the spooler manually runs fine, so you could script the start and stop of the service to get round this problem. But, that's not where the problem seems to be. Getting desperate, I trashed the disk and started again, reinstalling Win 2k SP4 and then adding in the device drivers one by one, rebooting in between. Install the ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 driver (A03) and all of a sudden you have a 45 second pause post login. Remove the drivers and everything's fine again. So it looks like Dell need to sort out the drivers - presumably there's some kind of interaction between the dll's used by the print spooler and the video driver, but they have quite a few in common. For the time being, my users will be having a 45 second wait at login and I'm going to be in touch with our Dell Account Manager to get him to lean on tech support there for a solution. Oh, and don't try getting drivers elsewhere, they won't work, so it looks like we have to wait for Dell to sort themselves out.

2 Posts

February 2nd, 2004 17:00

I cannot find this "Adapter Switching Service" anywhere on my system.  I have checked the Services area and also BIOS.  Can anyone tell me what I am missing here?  Got several D600's that need to use wireless.

HELP  Soooooo SLoooooooooooooow when booting.

No Events found!