Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 28th, 2006 15:00

Software Updates

Does Dell offer a CD with the updates for software installed on their computers?  I have dialup and it takes huge blocks of time to download these updates.  Or, what download manager does Dell recommend to handle this task?

11.9K Posts

September 28th, 2006 16:00

chzuck wrote:
Does Dell offer a CD with the updates for software installed on their computers?  I have dialup and it takes huge blocks of time to download these updates.  Or, what download manager does Dell recommend to handle this task?

No, they don't.  Further, there is virtually nothing that needs to be updated UNLESS you have a functional problem.  Updates that you need to apply come from Microsoft and are downloadable only.

18 Posts

September 28th, 2006 23:00

When I went to the "Drivers and Downloads" for my computer, some are marked critical, some are marked recommended, and some optional.  I figured the critical ones I should download.  Is that assumption incorrect?

11.9K Posts

September 29th, 2006 01:00

chzuck wrote:
When I went to the "Drivers and Downloads" for my computer, some are marked critical, some are marked recommended, and some optional.  I figured the critical ones I should download.  Is that assumption incorrect?

When I go to that page, I see nothing marked critical, recommended, or optional...  I have no idea what you're looking at.

Again, use Microsoft Windows Update, or Microsoft Update (does Windows and Office) to apply all critical updates to your computer.  Better yet, have it set to automatically do it.

18 Posts

September 29th, 2006 23:00

The drivers and downloads are just for my particular computer.  I get to that page after I enter my service tag # and operating system.  All updates are listed for different categories such as applications, audio drivers, BIOS, video adapters, etc.

11.9K Posts

September 29th, 2006 23:00

chzuck wrote:
The drivers and downloads are just for my particular computer.  I get to that page after I enter my service tag # and operating system.  All updates are listed for different categories such as applications, audio drivers, BIOS, video adapters, etc.

Ah, now I understand.  You're looking at each driver and reading the "Criticality" field.  Ok, now ignore it.  Dell is NOT looking at what's installed on your particular computer, despite what you think, and they are NOT telling you it's critical to apply anything.  There is no way for you to run anything that tells you whether drivers on the site are newer than what you have, and as I've said before "if it aint' broke, don't fix it".

11.9K Posts

September 30th, 2006 00:00

chzuck wrote:
Most likely, good advice.  Some peoples nature is to have the latest software upgrade even though what they have now works well (that's me).  So what you are saying is if I have a problem with a particular software, then look for upgrades or patches?
Thanks for all your input,

No, that's not what I'm saying.  I'm telling you to keep your Windows and Office software updated via Microsoft Update.

I'm telling you that the drivers page updates HARDWARE issues.  So, if your machine works fine, don't even go to the drivers page.  It has nothing to do with software.

Also, just to note, if you're doing a bios update and power fails, your machine is now a doorstop.

18 Posts

September 30th, 2006 00:00

Most likely, good advice.  Some peoples nature is to have the latest software upgrade even though what they have now works well (that's me).  So what you are saying is if I have a problem with a particular software, then look for upgrades or patches?
Thanks for all your input,
No Events found!