Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 10th, 2011 11:00

Spanish Windows XP

Hello,

more than 4 years ago we bought a Dell desktop PC (Dimension C521) here in Spain. Time passed and we wanted to reinstall the OS (Windows XP media center edition 2005) from zero, as we were getting an error message that we could not get rid of, even trying with a lot of antivirus, antitrojans, fixing registry, ... (all kind of thingd we found in forums).

So, we reinstalled the OS with the DVD supplied by Dell at the time of buying the PC and, if I am not wrong, during the installation process, I was selecting everything possible to have Spanish OS. Well, all options related to language, I was selecting as Spanish. However, when we finished, I got an English OS installed, which is basically a problem for the people that run that PC (not myself). Theoretically, everything supplied to Spanish customers, should be in Spanish (if not, this would be out of law, I believe), so, could any body help me and let me know if I did something wrong when reinstalling the OS or, if on the contrary, Dell was suppliying English OS as backup DVD?

I have been having a look at this forum (and some others) and at the FAQ's, but could not find the answer. I know this might be a complicated question, but I would really appreciate any help on this. Thank  you in advance.

• 

16.6K Posts

July 11th, 2011 12:00

spaniard116,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Have you tried the steps below to change the language?

Configuring Support for Multiple Languages

You can add, enable, and configure support for multiple languages by using the Regional Settings tool in Control Panel. To change the default language, follow these steps:

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

Double-click Regional and Language Options.

Click the Languages tab, click Details, and then click Add.

Under Input Language, add the language that you want to use.

Under Keyboard layout/IME, click the keyboard layout that you want, and then click OK.

Note Only users who have administrator permissions on the local computer can configure the following options on the Languages tab in Regional and Language Options:

Install files for complex script and right-to-left languages(Including Thai).

Install files for East Asian Languages.

July 11th, 2011 14:00

Dear Jesse L,

thank you very much for your quick and detailed reply!!!

I think I tried this kind of stuff, but I will check again next week (I do not have this PC at my home).

If I am not wrong, this was only affecting to the keyboard and input language when typing, but not to the language of the OS itself. I mean, in Spanish Windows XP I get "Inicio" description instead of "Start" description for the Windows start menu, for instance. Is it so? Then, my point would be how to get "Inicio" (and all the rest of Windows items), in Spanish. Sorry if I did not express myself properly in the first message.

Anyway, thank you again for your answer and, as mentioned, I will try again and let you know.

Kindest regards.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 12th, 2011 08:00

There are localized versions of XP.  The Dell Restore CD that is Spanish or Chinese etc will say that on the disc.

July 12th, 2011 13:00

Dear Speedstep,

Good point. Silly from my side, but I did not confirm this when doing the restore. Sometimes I do things too "automatically"... I will confirm this as well.

Thank you very much for your suggestion.

Best regards.

July 18th, 2011 14:00

Dear Jesse-L and Speed Step,

this weekend I could confirm two things:

-The Regional and Language settings are only affecting to the input devices, but not to the OS itself. Everything on that part of the Control Panel was already set to Spanish, when I first placed my message here. So, it looks that this was ok during installation process.

-The supplied DVD for Windows restoring was Spanish labelled. So, I will try to reinstall it, to see if I can get the OS in Spanish.

Thank you both once again.

October 9th, 2011 10:00

Hi,

sorry that I reply so late to this open issue. Finally I did not fix the problem myself, but another person. He did not reinstall Windows XP itself, but the Service Pack 3. When removing the SP and reinstalling it again, he got the possibility of changing the installation language and he selected Spanish, and ... problem gone. I do not know if I just made a mistake when installing the XP from zero and I missed the language configuration, and no time to confirm it now, but just in case someone suffers the same problem as I did, this is a possible solution.

Bye, and thank you again.

No Events found!