Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 8th, 2004 21:00

Standard Mode: Fault in MS-DOS Extender

While trying to install win 98 full oem on an older computer that had been formatted and wiped clean, after setup copies 96 files from cd to hdd, it does a scandisk and I'm getting the error messages;

Standard Mode: Fault in MS-DOS Extender.  EC=4000  CS=0053  IP=2811 AX=83D0 BX=E160 CX=FFFF  SI=0000 DI=89B0 BP=4278 DS=004B ES=02AC SS=004B SP=426E

Standard Mode: Bad Fault in MS-DOS Extender. Fault: 000D  Stack Dump: 02C4 0000 0070
Raw Fault frame: EC=4000 IP=244B CS=0053 FL=3002 SP=00F2 SS=004B

After doing an extensive search on Google and MS Knowledgebase, I discovered that part of the codes are linked to the DOSX.EXE. The ms page associated part of the code to; The portion of the display labeled "Raw Fault Frame", contains information generated by the 80286 or 80386 processor in response to the original fault. A page that I copied from the net had this response to a very similiar
post;
CS=0053 The code segment of the faulting instruction. If this is "0053" or "005B", the (original) fault was in DOSX.EXE, the "MS-DOS Extender." I could go on with explantions of the faults but if your hard drive is new and empty it all leads back to the system your trying to install.. When you run the Microsoft Windows 98  Setup program from the Japanese Product CD-ROM, you may receive a fault in the Standard Mode DOS Extender. This problem usually occurs during the first phase of Windows 98 setup, when you are responding to Setup questions. That sound like you??? Easy fix??? Yep, Try removing a DIMM, installing the operating system, and then replacing the DIMM.
Another thread from Delltalk here (http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=sw_win98&message.id=25711) also suggests a bad chip. I took one of the DIMM's out and tried the install and got identical error messages. The author of the above post mentions a Japanese Product cd-rom. I bought this windows 98 cd package from Ebay. Was supposed to be a full version of 98. Came with manual with product code on it.  Anyone on this board had experience with this problem? By the way the MS article discussing this issue is here:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;87239&Product=w98

No Responses!
No Events found!