Highlighted
lotharlang
1 Copper

Start menu not working

I recently was asked to upgrade Dell backup and recovery. When I did this the upgrade did not complete but since then the start menu is no longer working. Initially I got a critical error and was asked to restart. Since then nothing happens when I click on the start menu (just the indication for a few seconds that it does try to do something - blue ring - is showing). Also the Internet explorer icon is no longer showing in the bottom task line. 

I can still right click on the start menu and get the power option but I cannot call up any apps or programs from there anymore.

How can I get the start menu with the apps and programs call running again?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
8 Krypton

RE: Start menu not working

You must say what model computer and operating system you have to get any answers.

0 Kudos
lotharlang
1 Copper

The operating system is Windows 10. I had already upgraded to it last fall but not the Dell backup and recovery at that time.

The computer is a desktop (XPS 8700)

0 Kudos
Drjim445
1 Copper

I think I have the same problem with my new Venue 11.  I upgraded? to Windows 10 the day I  received the tablet.   It worked fine for about a month.  I was reading email and searching the web and then wanted to run another app.  What I got was a orange banner "Critical Error Your Start Menu isn't working  we will try to fix it when to restart"  I restarted, same problem.  There must be at least 100,000 Windows users with the same problem - at least judging from the posts on the web.  Microsoft seem clueless even thought the problem has been occurring for over 6 months.  I tried all the suggested fixes and none worked except downloading the Windows10 iso and reloading Windows 10.  That worked and with one exception all my apps and data was there afterword.  The problem reoccurred four days later.  I now carry a USB drive with the iso.  It takes about 45 minutes for Windows 10 to reload.  However I can no longer trust my Venue 11 as a tool for useful work.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

emoticon.BigSmile.title

Get help with the Windows 10 Start menu:

en.community.dell.com/.../19668875

Paula J
1 Copper

I have the same problem. And I can't shut down except by right-clicking on the menu and then a black and white menu image comes up and I can shut it down that way. There are fix it tools that say they are free, but only the download is free. When you go to use it, they want $39.00 but I'm not paying for a glitch in Windows 10 that might not even work or might even be malware because I never heard of these companies. Is this a Microsoft glitch or a Dell glitch? Because it seems to have happened every time I get a dell update. My computer is the towerless one-piece one with a built-in monitor. I can't get to where my computer model is because of the menu not working.  

0 Kudos