Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

October 25th, 2009 15:00

Studio 1535 and Windows 7

Hey all,

I want to upgrade to Windows 7 on my Studio 1535 and am wondering if there will be any trouble with drivers seeing as you cant get Windows 7 drivers for the 1535 on the support pages.  I figure it should be fine but would like to double check.

Cheers

11 Posts

October 25th, 2009 16:00

Hello,

Did you run the Windows 7 Upgrade Adviser? The fact that there are no drivers listed on the support page isn't a good sign...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b544e90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15&displaylang=en

6 Posts

October 26th, 2009 02:00

Il have a go running that today.  I heard the only reason that the drivers are not on the support page is because the 1535 has recently been replaced by the 1555, hardware wise the 1535 should still be more than enough for Windows 7.

Cheers

Looking around on google it seems people have managed to do it but with some problems with drivers not working properly.  I dont see why drivers cant be provided for the 1535 as well as the 1555.

6 Posts

October 26th, 2009 08:00

Just ran the advisor thing and it didnt come up with any problems.  Would the vista drivers work on Windows 7 then?

Cheers

184 Posts

October 26th, 2009 08:00

PlayerN,

Thank you for contacting the Dell Community Forum.  For many systems, either the drivers native to Windows 7 or Windows Vista drivers will work fine, with no need to install additional drivers for the new OS.  It appears that the Studio 1535 is one of those systems, but I will research the issue further and post what I find here.

6 Posts

October 26th, 2009 13:00

That sounds good, cheers! So most likely the drivers im using on vista now will work?

Cheers

184 Posts

October 26th, 2009 13:00

PlayerN,

From what I've been able to find, yes--Vista drivers should work in Windows 7 for the Studio 1535. 

6 Posts

October 26th, 2009 14:00

That sounds great, thanks for the help!

Cheers!

21 Posts

November 12th, 2009 12:00

I'm looking to upgrade to Windows 7 also on my 1535.  I'm going from 32-bit to 64-bit.  Is that your case?  The upgrade advisor says everything should work fine with 64.  I'm seeing a couple of issues online though with the ricoh driver and possibly the touch-sensitive media keys on the keyboard.

Did you or anyone else have problems installing windows 7 on the 1535?  I'm looking forward to seeing the replies especially in regards to the media keys (pause, play, mute, etc.)

6 Posts

November 13th, 2009 01:00

Yep, the plan is to go from 32-bit to 64-bit and everything should be fine.  I cant say for 100% yet as i havent had the chance to upgrade, but i plan too when i get back to my house in december.  When i was looking around to see if it would work, i never came across anyone with issues with the media keys but im not sure on that point.  I do plan on upgrading though so i'll post back with the results when i can.

21 Posts

November 15th, 2009 19:00

I just finished upgrading from Vista 32 to Win 7-64.  The OS runs smoothly, but I've had few problems.  I'll explain:

Windows installs most of the drivers you'll need.  It doesn't install the bluetooth drivers or the ricoh memory stick drivers (though it installs other ricoh drivers).  The only problem that Windows might have is with the Ricoh.  just download the 64 bit version from your driver support page.  Eventually windows will get annoyed enough and give you a download directly from the Dell website, but I suggest installing it before this happens.

In addition to the Ricoh and Bluetooth drivers, I suggest you install the IDT Audio driver (but wait until after other updates are installed - for some reason it didn't work right away).  The sound is better and not as blaringly loud as the MS codec.  I also suggest Dell Support (which automatically discovers your Tag), and Alps Touch Pad (This will help you selections options such as disabling the touchpad when a USB mouse is connected).

Really, I've had no software or driver problems.  My device manager is clear of any conflicts or driver issues.

ONE THING:

I have the TSST TS-T633A Slot Driver.  Before upgrading, I updated the the firmware for the drive from DS300 (or whatever it was) to DW20 (I believe).  I don't know if the firmware is the issue, but after the disc drive is in dis-use for some time (30min or more) and you press the eject button, it freezes up the system, closes the network connection, and you can't use the drive until a restart.

- I'm not sure this is a driver issue.  I really think it is a firmware issue.  I also tried updating the media panel firmware to see if that fixes the issue.  It remains to be seen.  In the meantime, that issue and related issues are being solved through this thread: http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19125998/19588468.aspx?PageInd

No Events found!