Highlighted
bwadels
Copper

Studio 1537 Vista Reformat

Hello all,

I want to do a clean install of Vista home premium, to eliminate unwanted programs etc...not sure of the process, installing the correct drivers, I have the discs that came with the laptop, is that enough? can't find a clear guide on the net, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Any help appreciated..

Cheers.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Davet50
Diamond

Re: Studio 1537 Vista Reformat

Since you have the drives disk this will help a lot.

Reinstall the OS then follow the instrruction HERE on the proper order to reload the drivers.

Home Built Sandy Bridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 10 Pro

Forum member since 2003

0 Kudos

Welcome to the forums

Do you have a 'Recovery' partition?  Restoring it to factory defaults is a LOT quicker/easier than reformatting, and reinstalling everything from scratch

You'll have to update the drivers etc thereafter of course, but 'Restoring your [Dell] computer to the factory settings' is the way to go!

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
Integrated 2MP Webcam
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

0 Kudos
bwadels
Copper

Thanks for the swift response will attempt it tomorrow, hopefully it goes well. Am I able to to check if I have all the drivers on the supplied discs? (3 of them, 1 for drivers and utilities, 1 for webcam and 1 for Media Direct) and If I don't can I download the correct ones after the reinstall of the OS? thanks again, apologies but first Laptop and I know next to nothing about computers.

0 Kudos
bwadels
Copper

Clean install complete, everything seems to be fine except for exclamation marks next to the ethernet controller, sm bus controller and unknown device, anyone with any ideas if I actually need these things? if so, where can I get them from?

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos