Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 2nd, 2015 05:00

Studio XPS 16xx - Can I update to Windows 10?

Ok, So my 1640 is still going strong. It's still using Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, and I have fully updated it.

Yet, despite fulfilling the requirements Microsoft set out, I'm still not seeing the 'Get Windows 10' app icon in my system tray. I have searched all over and I am just not getting anywhere.

All I want to know is whether I have the capability to upgrade to Win10 or whether I'm going to be disappointed in 2 months time when my girlfriend's lame computer upgrades and mine doesn't. ha.

Sam

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

June 3rd, 2015 01:00

What security software do you have?

Try to go to C:\Windows\System32\GWX and launch the GWX.exe

If it fails to launch go to computer > uninstall or change a program, select view installed updates and remove KB3035583.

Then try restarting the computer and reinstalling the update.

4 Posts

June 3rd, 2015 06:00

Thanks for your help mate, the icon has appeared and I have reserved my copy of Windows 10!!! This 5 year old computer still has it haha. I'm still proving people wrong with a Dell :)

For the information of anyone who had the same problem....

I followed NATAKUC4's advice:

• I temporarily deactivated my anti-virus (which is avast!), using the turn off until restart setting.
  • Start > control panel > uninstall or change a program, select view installed updates and remove KB3035583.
  • I scanned for new updates and installed the optional updates that appeared. and restarted my computer.
  • On restart, I scanned for updates again and reinstalled KB3035583.

A couple of minutes later, the Windows icon appeared in the task bar and I am ready to go! I really think that the antivirus was interfering.

• 

16.7K Posts

June 2nd, 2015 06:00

splogers,

If you do the Windows 7 updates and still do not see the Windows 10 icon on the taskbar you are not eligible for the Windows 10 upgrade for free.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

June 2nd, 2015 12:00

What is your product ID? Is it of the form XXXXX-OEM-8992687-00095?

Do you have KB3035583 installed?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3035583

4 Posts

June 2nd, 2015 18:00

Yes my ID is in the same format as that one you showed.

Yes I found KB3035583 installed....still no luck! I thought the program would at least be available to tell me it wasn't going to be compatible!

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

June 3rd, 2015 01:00

See also here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-faq?ocid=win10_auxapp_context#ui-id-31

Can I still reserve if I didn’t get a notification?

Not every device will see the notifications at the same time so there might just be a delay as we roll it out to all capable devices. Here are some other potential reasons that you would not see the upgrade notification if:

Your device isn't running Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update.
Need to check what version of Windows you are running? See here for instructions.
You are running an Enterprise version of Windows.
Windows automatic updates are not enabled on your device.
Your device may not meet the minimum system requirements.
Your device is not connected to the Internet.
Your device is eligible however, we are still working on updates that may improve your device’s experience, like getting a new driver.
If your device is eligible, you can still reserve your upgrade to Windows 10 even if you don’t see the notifications. Just open the Get Windows 10 App to get started.

I think there are still some issues with AMD hardware in particular AMD laptop display adapters.

4 Posts

June 3rd, 2015 06:00

Thank you :)

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

June 3rd, 2015 14:00

Thanks for reporting back in such detail. It will help out other users who the same issue.

3 Posts

July 30th, 2015 12:00

The problem that took me a while to resolve was losing audio after the upgrade.  It turned out that the Realtek audio driver that came with the package was not compatible with the hardware. I had to uninstall the driver from Program Feature without installing any new driver.

2 Posts

August 24th, 2015 05:00

Hi Litewavve I've just upgraded to windows 10 and have no audio either I've uninstalled the driver as you did but I don't know what to do to fix it. Have you got audio working?

3 Posts

August 24th, 2015 09:00

You need to uninstall the Realtek application from "Programs and Features" and reboot, the audio should come back.

However, every now and then, you will lose audio again because of Windows updates, which automatically reinstall the Realtek program. To prevent this, after you uninstall the Realtek application, go the Program Files and find the Realtek install directory (it is not deleted) and change the "SYSTEM" user privilege so that  the "SYSTEM" user will not be able to write into it again.

2 Posts

August 25th, 2015 15:00

That worrked I just had to go into playback devices after uninstalling the driver and rebooting to select the right device. Thanks for you help it's great to have my 6 year old machine looking so fresh.

Any suggestions on a replacement for media center I have the tuner in the laptop that I still want to use but windows 10 doesn't have media center

3 Posts

October 1st, 2015 20:00

Hi,

I am using XPS M1640...I had done everything as mentioned in your post. The Windows icon appeared, but when i try update to windows 10, it show me

This PC can't run Windows 10. The CPU isn't supported.

Then I try download and update my self, it show me

"Processor does not support nx"

Understand you guys had upgraded to Windows 10 sucessfully. Any idea/suggestion for me to upgrade my old strong laptop to Windows 10?

Thank you.

Regards,

3 Posts

October 3rd, 2015 01:00

Check your bios to see if there is a option to turn on/off NX. Otherwise, keep on running Windows 7. There are no significant benefits with Windows 10 and plenty of potential pitfalls as far as I can tell.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 3rd, 2015 02:00

No Events found!