Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 28th, 2008 09:00

Swapping OSs between two Dells

Speaking purely hypotheticaly, and forgetting drivers and such, if you have a Dell that shipped with Vista and a Dell that shipped with XP, can you swap the OSs over (Using the Vista disc with the XP PC and the XP disc with the Vista PC)?

You'd still have 1 PC with Vista and 1 PC with XP, just in the opposite order to that which was shipped to you. Is this permitted under Dell's OEM? or would this be a no no?

I usually use a bulk deal so this is new terretory for me.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

The OS that ships with a PC is legally only licensed for the PC it was delivered with. 

Same way if you bought an OEM version of Windows, it is legally only licensed for one PC (the PC it was initially installed on).

318 Posts

I kinda got the impression that this was the case when you didn't have a bulk deal. I take it that Microsoft/Dell won't allow you to register the OS with a different machine (No way to make this legal)?

Boy, home users get a raw deal these days, don't they. It's certainly best to buy retail if you plan to do anything other than using your PC out of the box for the rest of its time.

893 Posts

August 28th, 2008 14:00

My dear friend Knaufit, please check your PM (on very top) - you have mail....

1.5K Posts

August 28th, 2008 17:00

Message Edited by tommyo1954 on 08-29-2008 03:37 PM

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 28th, 2008 18:00

What I stated was how it's licensed (and it's not just Dell, if you buy an HP, Gateway, Acer, or whoever the OEM versions are the same).

What you do is up to you.

318 Posts

August 29th, 2008 06:00

So, long story short, Your OS can only legally be run on the PC that it was purchased with, and neither Dell nor Microsoft will let you reassign it.

One more question. If I'm combining parts from two old PCs (Both Dells), how much of the PC do I need to retain in order to retain the OEM. Motherboard, HD, etc?

318 Posts

August 29th, 2008 10:00

Yep, I'm well aware of all of this. Let me give you a hypothetical situation.

Suppose that you had an old Dell and a new Dell, the new Dell is Vista, but the old Dell is XP. Could you hypothetically transfer the OEM of XP to the PC sold with Vista simply by transfering enough of the parts like the HD across and DVD-ROM over. Or does the OEM reside with a significant and non movable component like the motherboard or PSU?

I'm not used to the limitations of a consumer OEM, so I don't know what you can and can't do, and I don't want to do somethig that I'm not supposed to do.

I usualy work bulk business deals and retail installs.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 29th, 2008 10:00

Not sure what you mean, but the Dell supplied OS discs will only load on a system with a Dell BIOS, so you need a Dell motherboard.

1.9K Posts

August 30th, 2008 10:00

Here is the skinny on this subject:

Microsoft defines the motherboard as the original computer for OEM purposes. Period.

Dell and others use a SLP installation and the code that tells the OS that it is legal is written in the ACPI Table in the BIOS Firmware on the motherboard with respect to the certificate on the OEM installation disk.

The motherboard that came with XP will NOT have the proper code to activate the Vista OS and vice versa as these codes are different for each OS. " Dell M07 for Vista " and " Dell M08 for XP " are the SLP codes.

There is no amount of manipulation that will make it conform to the license agreement.

pcgeek11

Message Edited by pcgeek11 on 08-30-2008 06:40 AM

1.5K Posts

August 30th, 2008 11:00

:smileyvery-happy:

Maybe I didn't word it correctly.. unless I'm missing something... Being the pessimist I can sometimes be, I said the tire wouldn't work, lol. 

In other words I was meaning to the o.p. to use his/her own good judgement as you're likely to get 5 different opinions from 5 different folks...

Gee...  Who would think that a flat tire I encountered 50 years ago would come up here in 2008..  

1.9K Posts

"it won't work"...

With all due respect; I am not trying to start a confrontation, but ...

It will not work " as is " legitimately due to the ACPI Table codes in the BIOS.

There are ways, but that will NOT make it legit and it will require illegal / unauthorized manipulation of the system. As stated earlier:

" There is no amount of manipulation that will make it conform to the license agreement. "

Any other answer ( regardless of how subtle ) is outside of the terms of use of this board, as I am sure you know this already.

I am not trying to police the board just stating the facts.

pcgeek11

1.5K Posts

Knauff... check your private messages....

I am removing a reply above; some things are better left unsaid or kept out of the public eye.

1.5K Posts

Knauff... check your private messages....

Removed for obvious reasons....:smileysurprised:

Have a glorious weekend, everyone... It's a dandy here in New England.

Message Edited by tommyo1954 on 08-30-2008 07:57 AM

1.9K Posts

August 30th, 2008 12:00

" I am removing a reply above; some things are better left unsaid or kept out of the public eye."

Yes this is true! :smileywink:

You have a great weekend also!

pcgeek11

318 Posts

September 1st, 2008 08:00

PCGeek11

I think that we've all gotten the message. Full retail means that you can run 1 copy on any machine, but Dell OEM means that you can only run 1 copy which must be on the machine that it was sold with. This is not being disputed. Nobody has asked how to cheat and nobody is saying how to cheat. This is a puerly hypothetical situation as I don't deal with home OEMs and so don't have a home OEM of Vista in the first place, and I can't see why you would want to install Vista on an older PC in the first place. It would be dog slow.

I will have to mention, however, that you're a little bit off moterboard restrictions. I've seen a standard Dell OEM DVD (Originally from a 745 or a 755, I don't recall which) used to install Vista on a machine that was manufatured before Vista was released. It worked first time with no modifications or cheating of any sort (To be 100% clear this was done specifically as part of a demonstration about installing Vista onto older machines, by a company that already had a bulk OEM agreement in place).

Maybe some PCs have motherboard lockdown, but this one certainly wasn't.

No Events found!