Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 17th, 2009 13:00

System Idle Process Problem

Hi guys!

I have a Dell Dimension 2100 running Windows XP that has been creaking at the seams for a while now. I planned to get a new system shortly but events have overtaken me!

For no obvious reason my PC does not load any programs on booting up. The wallpaper appears but then it stalls for a period of time before automatically re-starting and stalling ad infinitum. I have managed to get windows task manager up and it shows no programs are active and the only process running is a system process called "System Idle Process". Can anyone shed any light on this, what it does and how I can break this cycle? :emotion-42:

Once I get my new PC with Windows Vista will I be able to transfer/salvage and files on my old Dell and transfer them to my new one? Should I not even attempt this transfer?!?!

Any assistance in the matter would be gratefully received!

Cheers! :emotion-22:

1.1K Posts

February 17th, 2009 17:00

MedPara

Agree with RChris & have the following suggestions/comments

Since PC is booting to XP normal node, the following may not indicate or provide clues:

Rear panel diagnostic LEDs (A, B, C & D) or Beep codes during Boot process, any other error messages??

You say quote: “automatically re-starting and stalling ad infinitum” do you mean the computer is rebooting itself & failing or it’s just the windows wallpaper trying to load?

If you can launch Task Manager, from Processes tab (at the bottom), what are the values for:

The System Idle Process (%), the CPU Usage (%) & the Commit Charge ratio?

What happens if/when you boot to Safe mode?

Finally, if you do manage to access your Dimension 2100 personal data, back it up a.s.a.p. to some portable type media (e.g. CD, flash drive etc.)

Always scan such media data with suitable AV software before transferring/reinstalling it on any PC

Installing any applications should always be done using the application setup CD

370 Posts

February 17th, 2009 17:00

Think of the "System Idle Process" as what's left of your CPU capacity after everything else. That is, if nothing else is going on, System Idle Process will show about 99%.   So, I don't think that helps solve your problems--they could be anything from a failing hard drive to power supply issues to a corrupt OS. Sorry I can't be of much help there.  You could consider doing a complete system reinstallation to pin down whether it's a hardware or software issue.

As far as transferring your data files, if your computer stays up long enough to copy them off to USB drives, CDs or DVDs, you could start doing that.  Or, you could install the old hard drive in your new computer (temporarily) to copy off files.

8 Posts

February 18th, 2009 06:00

Thanks for the responses guys! They make the situation a lot clearer!

I will check the LEDs next chance I get and let you know at the weekend. There was no unusal beep code that I noticed though or any error messages.

When I turn the PC on it starts up in the normal fashion, loads the wallpaper and mouse pointer and then seems to hang or stall from there. Nothing happens for 10-15 mins then it re-boots itself and we're back to square one! The HD light is on pretty much the whole time while it is on. The screen saver activates but I noticed that it seems to suggest that some of the picture files I use for it are now missing!

I launch task manager by hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del. It takes a long time to respond and if I try to run any programs through it the PC tends to crash and re-boot itself. No tool bars appear at any point.

I know the System Idle Process value is 99% as RChris suggested but will check the other values. (I think the CPU Usage value is low though. All the programs seem to be 0% but will confirm.)

I'm not sure I've seen an option of booting to safe mode but will try it if I can!

Thanks for the tips. I will do! I had Norton running so I'm hoping it's not a virus although I did start getting random wanings from it that emails that I had sent had not been successfully delivered when in fact they had! Perhaps this may suggest a developing hard drive fault?

Will update at the weekend!

Cheers!

8 Posts

February 21st, 2009 00:00

I had another go at my PC this weekend with no avail!

All 4 LED diagnostic lights came on while booting up and remained on throughout. There was no unusual beep code I noticed.

The System Idle Process was running at 99%

CPU Usage was 0% although it occasionally spiked at 20% when the hard drive flickered into life for a second!

The Commit Charge ratio was 131268K/694472K

I tried shutting down the system through Task Manager but it just rebooted and continued as before.

I guess I'll have to wait for my new PC and see if I can access the hard drive and discover what, if anything, is left!

Cheers!

1.1K Posts

February 21st, 2009 18:00

Hi again MedPara

After the boot process, the rear panel diagnostic LEDs (A, B, C & D) should all be GREEN

System values in Task Manger look fine

You say quote “I'm not sure I've seen an option of booting to safe mode but will try it if I can!”

The Dimension 2100 User Manual should explain the various functions to use when Dell Logo just appears on screen during the PC boot process

Some Dell models use different keys, but for Dimension 2100, I think they are:

to access System SetUp (sometimes referred to as BIOS settings)

to access reduced loading boot options

Then use the  keys to select Safe Mode & then press key

Not sure if your  key initiates hardware diagnostic boot options???

If not you will need to use hardware diagnostic tool located on bootable floppy or CD as supplied with your PC  

You will need to first insert the floppy or CD in the relevant drive & then start your computer 

If not already done you should work off-line (disconnect PC from any network connection) then:

1. Boot to Safe Mode & see if things improve (screen graphics will look different, that’s OK)

2. Carry out hardware diagnostics to identify or eliminate any hardware failure

If hardware diagnostics passes the memory (RAM) hardware test it will then provide you with 4 options

·         Run Quick Tests

·         Run All Tests

·         Run Specific Tests

·         Exit

You may want to select Run Quick Tests to start with, if no failures reported then try Run All Tests (this may take a while to complete)

Reply, if you require further help/clarification

8 Posts

March 4th, 2009 08:00

Thanks again Bell Boy!

I booted up in Safe Mode and it appears all my files are still there and I should be able to transfer them across to my new PC in this mode if necessary. However, I can find no trace of a floppy disk with the hardware diagnostic tools on it. Upon shutting down and then restarting the PC it went into the CHKDSK program which I have never seen it do before! It completed the process before I noticed any error messages and then continued to start up. However, it didn't seem to have made any signficant improvement unfortunately!

I will continue to search for the floppy disk but in the meantime I will attempt to transfer my files and will be satisfied if I manage that!

Thanks!

8 Posts

March 4th, 2009 10:00

When it was all going so "well"......

I just moved my old PC to make way for the new one and when I plugged the Dell in and switched it on it now won't boot up and the "D" LED light is orange!

What does this mean? Is it terminal?!?

Thanks!

1.7K Posts

March 5th, 2009 11:00

I tried to look up the Dimension 2100 in our system, but can't find that model listed.  Are you sure you got the model number correct?

Checking the Diagnostic LED codes, a "D" only may mean it is in Recovery Mode (BIOS checksum failed), which could be caused by: the maintenance jumper setting being incorrect, the BIOS being corrupt, the motherboard having failed or (unlikely, but possible) a failed CPU.

1.1K Posts

March 5th, 2009 16:00

Hi MedPara

Suggested order of priorities

(A) Rescue Personal data from Dimension 2100

Under the circumstances, simplest method would be to use a USB flash drive (512MB or greater)

Since you have Windows XP it should recognise the USB flash drive automatically (no need for adding drivers)

Boot to Safe Mode, plug in the USB flash drive then drag & drop all your personal data folders (e.g. MS Office type documents, photos, Outlook Express folders, Favorites etc..) from hard drive to the USB flash drive

Insert USB flash drive in new PC but first AV scan USB flash drive contents before transferring/opening any of your personal data folders on the new PC

(B) Investigate & fix your Dimension 2100 – where to start  :emotion-40:

Quote “I just moved my old PC…it now won't boot up…."D" LED light is orange”

Could be just a lose connection, you would need to open up computer & check connections

If you don’t have the User Guide click here

Most of the links provide on-line information, e.g. System Codes & Messages provides info on POST bleeps & rear panel diagnostic LED display etc..

But clicking Documentation link takes you to a Solutions Guide PDF link – see the warning NOT to left click on that PDF link, you MUST right click the link & select Save Target As to save it to a hard drive folder (normally defaults to My Downloads folder) then open the Solutions Guide PDF file from there

Most interesting is you said quote, “I have a Dell Dimension 2100 running Windows XP

Is this information correct – assume that’s what Larry R was getting at?

The reason I ask is, according to Dell Support, the Window OS platforms for Dimension 2100 system drivers are 2000, ME & 98?

If you did upgraded to XP, how did you reinstall Dimension 2100 system drivers?

If computer has indeed been running XP for some time without any problems then it’s probably not a system driver compatibility issue/problem?

If not that & assuming you are not running more than one Anti-Virus then it sounds like some hardware is heading south  :emotion-45:

As previously stated, you will need hardware diagnostics tool to run hardware tests

If you don’t have the Dell ResourceCD that should have been supplied with your computer (contains system drivers & diagnostics tool) then you could download the diagnostics utility from here & use it on a floppy

But, as already mentioned Windows XP does not appear in the driver download OS filter option???

Hope this helps?

8 Posts

March 31st, 2009 06:00

Hi Bell Boy!

Thanks for that info. I have a USB memory stick on standby - now all I need to do is get my PC to boot safely! :emotion-18:

I have downloaded the guides as suggested and will read through them and see what they can tell me. Thanks!

I'm afraid I can shed no further light on the XP situation. I purchased it so long ago I cannot recall if it was a special upgrade they were offering at the time or not! It had definately been running XP with no problems until now. I suspect you are correct with regards to the hardware unfortunately! :emotion-6:

8 Posts

March 31st, 2009 06:00

Hi Dell-L!

Yup it is a Dimension 2100 according the front of the PC and the sticker on the side confirms it runs XP Home Edition. It is about 8+ years old now and I have never significantly improved or upgraded anything on it (except the odd sound card etc). I'm guessing it's obsolete now! :emotion-32:

Have you any suggestions as to how I could rectify the problems you outlined above? I have tried again to start the system but the 'D' light is still orange!

Cheers!

1.1K Posts

March 31st, 2009 20:00

Hi again MedPara

Yes, if you can still boot to safe mode then priority is to recover personal data?

Diagnostics is secondary since you probably have new computer up & running    

You mentioned installing/upgrading sound card etc..

Not sure what the etc means, but if you ever intend to do a Windows XP clean install, you will first need to disconnect any upgraded type device

Had another look at Dimension 2100 Tech Spec document

Interesting, under Memory specs it does mention Windows XP, minimum memory required is 128MB

Not sure what your PC RAM capacity is?

But limited RAM results in more virtual memory operation, using temporary space on hard disk thereby slowing down PC performance – a problem with older PCs & the demand by present day graphics  

Good Luck  :emotion-21:

8 Posts

April 1st, 2009 09:00

Unfortunately the system no longer boots up! It whirs into life for a couple of seconds and then just stalls and does nothing. The VDU reports no signal received so I can't recover the data I'd like to right now!

I will read through the user guides and see if there are any solutions in there about how to overcome the 'D' LED problem!

I have upgraded sound and video cards but not OS, CPU's or motherboards. So essentially peripherals rather than major things. I think I ended up with 128MB of RAM but don't think I started off that amount! Towards the end I did encounter problems with virtual memory limits and it did slow significantly. Hence why I bought a new PC. If only I'd bought it a bit earlier I could transferred the files across no problem! Ah well - lesson learnt!!! :emotion-10:

Cheers!

No Events found!