Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 11th, 2009 08:00

System Restore Failed....On two Dell's!!!

I hope you guys can help me out. Let me start by giving you the run down on my situation.

I have two PC's I bought a couple years back. One is an E510 desktop and the other is a 5150 desktop; both came with XP Media Center Edition. As far as hardware, they were nearly identical. The E510 had more RAM, a video card, and a larger hard drive, but that's it.  

The E510, our primary computer, was running slow so I decided to do the 'System Restore' by hitting CTR/F11 at start up. Everything was going fine until about half way through. It said "System Restore Failed" and rebooted. Upon restart it said "loading pbr for descriptor 2... failed".

I searched all over the internet to see what this meant. I couldn't find a fix for it, so I imaged the hard drive from the 5150 to the E510. It was my only option since Dell didn't acutally provide me with a hard copy of Windows XP.

A couple week later I decided to do a System Restore on the 5150 and the same thing exact thing happened.

Has anybody had issues with the System Restore? Where can I get the OS for these PC's?

3.7K Posts

January 12th, 2009 04:00

Hi ShafferNY,   I can help you out HERE with the online form to get an copy of your OP disc's.

6 Posts

January 12th, 2009 15:00

BTW. Is there a reason the system restore failed like this on both PC's?

6 Posts

I'm the only registered owner of both machines. I should be fine then.

Thanks for all the help. :emotion-2:

2.2K Posts

They will give them to the registered owner once in the lifetime of each machine, regardless of whether it is in warrranty or not.

6 Posts

Great! Thanks.

I purchased both these systems on eBay. One was factory sealed refurbished and the other was factory sealed new.

Do you think they'll give me the disc even though I bought them from another person? They're both out of warranty too.

1.7K Posts

Once you complete the transfer of ownership you should receive the disks just fine.  At worst, you might have to contact the person you purchased the system from (assuming he is the one that bought it from Dell) and have him request the disks (or better yet, do the transfer of ownership into your name).

6 Posts

January 13th, 2009 12:00

Since I bought these computers off eBay and don't know the seller's name, or any other information, they won't send me the discs.

My only other option is to buy a retail version of the OS. Very frustrating to say the least.

1.7K Posts

January 13th, 2009 13:00

I would suggest contacting the seller to see if (s)he can do the transfer of ownership for you.  Once that is done you can get the disks.

110 Posts

January 14th, 2009 15:00

Sound like you talking about PC restore not System restore ?

You should try PC restore , it don't need re-install cd to do it.

1.1K Posts

January 14th, 2009 19:00

Hi ShafferNY

You may still be in luck

Sounds like the Ctrl/F11 function (PC Restore by Symantec, a.k.a. DSR utility) is recoverable?

Reference the partition boot record problem "loading pbr for descriptor 2... failed"

Depends on what has already been done to hard drive(s) & if the DSR image partition is still present?

If it’s only the Dell modified MBR (master boot record) that’s been damaged, it can be fixed  :emotion-5:

Reply if you need further help/clarification

2.2K Posts

February 3rd, 2009 16:00

Dell does not service machines (or give out disks) other than to the registered owner. You may have bought it, but until Dell can confirm with the original owner that they sold it, there is a big question mark as to WHO sold it to you and HOW they got it.

Regarding Dell's purchased at Best Buy... I do not like that policy one bit, but did see a post from a Dell moderator recently that they were loosening that "no support from Dell' stance slightly.  Try contacting them again to see how much it has been loosened...

If not, the computer does have the full warranty, just through the Geek Squad (which is why i doon't like the policy....)

300 Posts

February 3rd, 2009 16:00

I'm getting in late on this; hope you have your system restore back by now.  BUT, just in case you don't, I had the same problem for a long time until I finally got rid of Norton Anti-Virus.  Immediately upon removing that my system restore began working and still is.  That was a couple years ago.  I was long a fan of Norton but never again for me!

Bessie

No Events found!