Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 13th, 2009 11:00

System Restore Point - The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because of an IO failure on volume C:.

Hi,

I have a problem creating system restore points on my Dell Dimension E520 and any assistance would be greatly appreciated. When I try to create a restore point, the system appaers to create a restore point but the "System Protection" tab of teh "System Properties" screen shows most recent restore point of "None" for "OS (C) (System)"

The event log shows the following error "

The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because of an IO failure on volume C:."

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

September 13th, 2009 15:00

Always include version of Windows in your posts! :emotion-5:

MIght be a hard drive problem.

Click Start>Run

Type in: chkdsk c: /f

Click ok

Accept the offer to run chkdsk at next boot. Reboot and chkdsk will run before Windows loads. Then try creating a new restore point.

Ron

2 Posts

September 13th, 2009 16:00

Apologies Ron! I am using Vista Home Premium (Service Pack 2). I had run check disk prior to post on this forum on both OS (C:) (System) and RECOVERY (E:) both of which are on the same hard disk, with no errors reported. I subsequently re-ran the option to create restore point but encountered the same problem.  I have also run Dell Hard Disk Diagnostics but again without any errors reported. I'm not aware of any other tests to verify the hard disk?

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

September 14th, 2009 10:00

Scanned for malware lately?

Not a Vista user, so you'll have to dig out details yourself, but try turning System Restore off. In XP that option is on the System control panel's System Restore tab. Then reboot and turn Restore back on. That will delete the Restore database which may be corrupted. Reboot once more and try setting a Restore point.

Don't know if Vista works the same as XP, but can you boot from your Vista DVD and run chkdsk from there? In XP, you'd launch the Recovery Console after booting from the Windows CD and at the c: prompt, type in:

chkdsk c: /p /r

press Enter

Note that in XP, the chkdsk commands are different from running it "inside" Windows. Don't know if that's true for Vista too. From the XP Recovery Console, /p /r forces chkdsk to run really deep tests on the hard drive which can take several hours.

Google that error message and you'll find a number of people with the same problem. A lot of them fix it with chkdsk. In meanwhile, you might want to back up your personal files in case this is a first warning of impending doom... :emotion-3:

Ron

No Events found!