Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

June 8th, 2004 15:00

System Restore XP Professional not working.

Howdy,

When I do a System Restore and then the computer reboots, I get an error message in a window that says:

X  Restoration Incomplete

Your computer cannot be restored to:

(restore point)

Yesterday I did a virus search with Panda Titanium and isolated 2 infected files. That didn't help.

Today I called Dell tech support, and we did a Repair re-install of Windows XP. But that didn't heIp. Their suggestion was a complete reinstall of Windows XP, but I want to avoid having to do that if I can.

Everything else seems to be working fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rut

18.8K Posts

June 8th, 2004 16:00

Rut,

The problem is most often associated with a corrupted restore database. Go to Start|Control Panel|System|Sytem Restore tab and turn off system restore. Reboot, then go back an enable system restore again. Try setting a manual restore point then restore to it to see if the functionality of the proces has been reestablished.

72 Posts

June 8th, 2004 16:00

The problem is most often associated with a corrupted restore database. Go to Start|Control Panel|System|Sytem Restore tab and turn off system restore. Reboot, then go back an enable system restore again. Try setting a manual restore point then restore to it to see if the functionality of the proces has been reestablished

Denny,

We tried this prior to doing the XP repair, and it didn't work. However, I will try it again and see what happens.

Rut

72 Posts

June 8th, 2004 20:00

Denny,

I tried turn System Restore off and on again 2 or 3 times and used various combinations of restarting, etc., and that still didn't work.

Unless there is some known danger (outside of not being able to restore), I think I'm just going to leave it as is for now, then mess with it later (perhaps reinstall Windows -- ouch), unless there are other fixes to attempt.

Rut

18.8K Posts

June 8th, 2004 21:00

Rut,

Perhaps something here will help.

72 Posts

June 9th, 2004 02:00

Denny,

Thanks. I will check it out.

Rut

72 Posts

July 3rd, 2004 20:00

Denny,

The safe mode command prompt method described in Article 304449 works.

I still don't know why the System restore tool doesn't work.

Rut

No Events found!