Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 26th, 2013 19:00

System Restore not working properly

My System Restore is not working properly. It doesn't save previous restore points for past dates. I have looked all over the internet for the files to replace it. I have a Dell Dimension 2400, xp home, sp3 purchased 11/2003. I've searched all my Dell Install disks  and cannot find SR.inf file. I read on a post somewhere that the Install disks for units bought at that time don't have that file on them. I really need to get this working so I can troubleshoot my system and/or re-install the system if it needs it. Please let me know where I can get the file or a disk that has what I need.

Thanks

1.3K Posts

June 27th, 2013 06:00

Hi Altenuta,

Welcome to Dell Community Forum.

Please click on the Microsoft Link below for troubleshooting the issue you are facing with System Restore.

http://bit.ly/4CIjCs

The link below has useful information on how to install Windows XP manually on your system. Please back up all relevant data on an external storage device prior to re-installing windows as this may result in data loss.

http://dell.to/140lPlq

Hope this resolves the issue for you. Let us know if further help is needed. We would be happy to help.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

1.3K Posts

June 29th, 2013 07:00

Hi Altenuta,

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please respond to my post.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

20.5K Posts

June 29th, 2013 09:00

Altenuta,

Some things to try:

1. Have you tried going to Start > Run  and typing services.msc, then locating the SR service and double-clicking it? Does the service show as Disabled? If not, disable it temporarily.
Check the "System Volume Information folder" on each drive (you may need to set folder options/view tab to see hidden and system folders for this). Delete any contents to essentially clean out System Restore. Reverse the steps above to restart it. Reboot.

2. If that doesn't work, try looking for the needed file in your C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder. Simply scroll down and find the copy of it there. Right-click it and choose "Copy". Right-click and Paste to the C:\Windows\Inf folder

3.You may also need to look in the \ServicePackFiles folder (usually under the Windows directory).

4. Check your CD again. Look under sr.in_

3 Posts

June 30th, 2013 11:00

I have found sr.in_ on my install cd. I go to System Volume Information and
get the msg, c:\System Volume Information is not accessable. Access is
denied. In Properties: 0 files 0 folders. Which file/s should I copy and
where should I put them. BTW: My install CD is very old with sp1. Do I need
to get the files from an SP2 SP3 disk? My computer is a Dimension 2400, XP
Home.

Al

20.5K Posts

June 30th, 2013 14:00

I'm not sure if you are saying that the system does not have SP2 and 3 or whether you just don't have the discs. Are you sure the file is not in your i386 folder?  If you have the Service Packs installed it should be there.  Maybe you can borrow the media from a friend?
Babita started working with you, so I'll let her continue.

3 Posts

June 30th, 2013 20:00

I'm running xp sp3. My original install disk has sp1 and I believe I need to Slipstream a new recovery disk that includes sp3. My problem is that I want to fix system restore from my original install disk. My questions are:

1. Can I use the files from my install disk?

2. Which files do I need?

3. Where do I copy them to?

Also, one of your suggestions was to look in my System Volume Information folder for any files that my be causing me trouble. That folder will not allow me access to it. What's that problem. I don't have any idea how to change permissions to allow me access. I am administrator and do not have a root admin password. can you help me there?

Thanks.

Al

No Events found!