Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 16th, 2012 04:00

System Restore: "Not enough disk space"

Dell Vostro 3350 Win 7

Following a blue screen failure (one month after end of warranty) that could not be resolved I have had a new hard drive installed that is the same model and size as the original.  However, when I try and do a factory system restore from the CD I created when I bought the laptop, it won't run - with the error message "not enough disk space".

As I have a blank drive, I do not have any other utilities to fix this.  Has the new drive been inappropriately formatted or partitioned?  How do I correct the new drive so the system restore will run?

All suggestions gratefully received!

Greg

8 Posts

December 20th, 2012 01:00

Allan, thank you for your detailed advice.  However, I have now solved the problem.  Assuming the "not enough disk space" error message was the residual consequence of the apparently failed attempt to clone the contents of the old drive to the new, I found a utility that both created a bootable flash drive and provided a hard drive erase tool.

After running the erase tool, I tried the system restore again and it successfully formatted the partition and installed the system backup.  There was a problem with Win7 failing to start (possibly a problem with the Win boot manager), but after several attempts with both the Win self-repair and the repair disk, it is now fully functional.

I did reset the bios to its defaults at one point, so this may have been the key.

Greg

2.6K Posts

December 17th, 2012 21:00

Hello,

In order to isolate the issue, I would suggest you to run the Pre-Boot System Assessment (PSA / ePSA) Diagnostics. It is just to check the functionality of the hardware installed in the computer. Run the test and check if gives any error code. Note down the error code and update me with the same, would let you know the next course of action.

Please write back with results, would be glad to assist you further.

35 Posts

December 18th, 2012 03:00

Describe the blue screen STOP code here. It will show you the exact cause.

8 Posts

The stop code is 7B, which I understand means data corruption rather than a mechanical drive failure.  However, the data recovery utility we used failed to correct the problem, which is why I replaced the drive (assuming i could use the system restore CD).

8 Posts

Allan,

Thanks for your offer to assist.  The PSA reports no failures.  This is what I would expect, as I don't think the problem is 'mechanical'.  When the new hard drive was installed, the technician attempted to "clone the entire faulty drive over the top of the new one" in the hope we could run the Dell system restore from the original hidden partition.  However, the boot sequence failed when re-starting the laptop.

I suspect the attempt to clone the contents of the old drive to the new drive has created the problem -- a confusion of formatting and/or partitioning that causes the system restore utility to think there's insufficient disk space?

Is there any sense in running a utility to return the new drive to its factory capacity state (e.g.  )?

Greg

35 Posts

December 18th, 2012 04:00

ONLY 7B is the STOP code? It should have 10 characters, check it again.

8 Posts

December 18th, 2012 09:00

And that makes it frustrating, as this stop code gives virtually no useful indicators of what might be happening.  As the repair utility failed to achieve anything, the alternative was to replace the drive.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

December 18th, 2012 09:00

0x0000007B ... a very common stop code, that is not limited to "data corruption", can be a driver or controller issue as well, or even caused by malware, etc.:

technet.microsoft.com/.../bb457122(TechNet.10).aspx

35 Posts

December 19th, 2012 04:00

It is happening due to may be Boot Sector Virus issue or Device Driver issue.

To troubleshoot, Go to: support.microsoft.com/.../324103

8 Posts

December 19th, 2012 05:00

Thank you for your suggestions.  However, you have not read my original posting correctly.  I am not trying to recover the original drive with the blue screen failure.  I am trying to resolve a problem with the new drive that will not let my Dell system restore CD run.

2.6K Posts

December 19th, 2012 22:00

Hello Gjpi,

I would suggest you to change the SATA Operation in BIOS and check the functionality. To change the SATA Operation, follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Restart the computer and keep tapping the F2 key at the Dell logo screen. 
2. The computer enters the system setup (BIOS)
3. Under the Advanced tab, locate the option as SATA Operation (use the up and down arrow key to navigate in BIOS).
4. If it is set to ACHI, change it to ATA or any other options available.
5. Press F10 to save and exit the system setup.
6. Enter the system setup once again and change the SATA Operations from ATA to ACHI.
7. Press F10 to save and exit the system setup.
Here is an image for the same:

Once the SATA Operation has been changed, try to install windows and check the functionality and write back with results.

2.6K Posts

December 20th, 2012 20:00

Hi Greg,

I am glad to know that the issue is fixed. Please feel free to contact me in future for further queries.

No Events found!