Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 5th, 2009 03:00

System restore in Windows XP

I recently tried to use "system restore" to solve a problem on my Inspiron 6400 but, when I tried to run it, nothing (literally, nothing) happened. All the software (rstrui) and links are there but nothing happens. Does Dell not support this function?

1.1K Posts

September 5th, 2009 10:00

rggraham1947

Assuming you don’t have a Malware infection (i.e. no other problems/issues?)

Then it could just be a corrupt Windows System restore database?

You will lose all previous Restore points, but if Windows System restore isn’t working then previous Restore points aren’t much use anyway!

So, if all you want to do is to get Windows System restore working again then:

1. Control Panel > right click System > System Restore tab

2. Checkbox enable Turn off System Restore, click OK then Reboot

3. Go back to System Restore tab & uncheck Turn off System Restore, click OK

This will clear the database & re-enable Windows System restore

If you now want to create a manual Restore point (rather than wait for Windows to do it), then use the Windows Restore Point Wizard

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

675 Posts

September 5th, 2009 18:00

I have found that when XP won't run System Restore in "regular" mode, it may run in Safe Mode. I'd try that before disabling/re-enabling. Hope this helps.--dg

1.1K Posts

September 5th, 2009 18:00

Good point dg27  :emotion-55:

If it does work in Safe mode, it means something that is loading in Normal boot mode is preventing System Restore from working

16 Posts

September 6th, 2009 01:00

I've tried it in "Safe Mode" and logged in as "Administrator"; same result.

16 Posts

September 6th, 2009 01:00

BELL BOY

"Assuming you don’t have a Malware infection (i.e. no other problems/issues?)" - None that I know of!

"1. Control Panel > right click System > System Restore tab" - Problem; no "System Restore" tab.

regards,

rggraham1947

675 Posts

September 6th, 2009 04:00

FWIW, try it from the account that you normally use, but make sure that account has admin rights before you do.--dg

16 Posts

September 6th, 2009 11:00

I tried it from the Administrator account as a last resort; I'd tried the other accounts, all with admin rights, already.

1.1K Posts

September 6th, 2009 11:00

rggraham1947

Quote “All the software (rstrui) and links are there  …“??

Not sure, but assume you mean the rstrui.exe file in Windows\sytem32\Restore folder is still present?

OK, now know System Restore tab is missing – possibilities are:

1. A corrupt Windows\sytem32\Restore rstrui.exe file

From Windows Explorer

Navigate to Windows\sytem32\Restore folder

In RHS pane right click rstrui.exe file & select Rename, use say oldrstrui.exe

Assuming you have Windows Service Packs installed

Navigate to C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder

In RHS pane scroll all the way down to the rstrui.exe file, right click & select copy

Now paste a copy of that file in the Windows\system32\Restore folder

Reboot & check for System Restore tab

If present & working then delete the renamed oldrstrui.exe file

If above doesn’t fix the problem

2. Something has changed security policy settings (could be Malware)

Please confirm if using XP Pro or XP Home?

3. Malware (most common cause)

Create a new post in the Malware Removal Forum, click here & let the experts help

1K Posts

September 6th, 2009 13:00

Hi rggraham1947.

If BELL BOY´s advice to replace rstrui.exe from i386 did not work and I know you said that you tried safe mode advised by dg27, but did you try it in safe mode with command prompt. Try this MS article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449/en-us

If it works, I agreed with BELL BOY that if restore tab is missing could be malware. So check your machine for infections and post in malware forums for advice.

Hope it helps.

16 Posts

September 8th, 2009 08:00

1. I'm afraid this didn't work.

2. I'm using XP Home.

3. I've no malware, as far as I know.

675 Posts

September 8th, 2009 08:00

3. I've no malware, as far as I know. 

Curious what you used to check on malware.

Also, what is the issue you're trying to resolve with System Restore?

dg

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 8th, 2009 09:00

rggraham1947,

Sometimes system restore does get corrupt and the only way to fix it is to turn it off, restart your computer, then turn it back on.

How to turn off and turn on System Restore in Windows XP

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

dg27,

If system restore is corrupt, and I suspect it is, then the restore points will be useless. Depending on why the person needs to do a system restore can determine which route to take next. If it's a problem with the operating system and since this is a Dell computer and the operating system is XP, then I would most likely suggest they try an operating system repair. An operating system repair will make the operating system like it was when the computer was purchased but you will not lose any files and folders. I always stress to people that you should always make copies of files and folders that you cannot afford to lose.

What is the issue that the person is trying to use system restore?

Rick

675 Posts

Rick:

We discussed this option as a possibility earlier in this thread, but as noted in the Microsoft doc:

>>You have chosen to turn off System Restore. If you continue, all existing restore points will be deleted, and you will not be able to track or undo changes to your computer. 

We're trying to avoid losing previous restore points.

DG 

675 Posts

Rick:

Preaching to the choir here regarding backups...I use Retrospect Pro 7.5 for complete system backups twice a week on two separate drives, plus Maxtor's backup system for all media 3X a week, split over two drives.

When you refer to "operating system repair," I think you're referring to Dell's restore system and not XP's "repair install," correct?  The latter can be hit or miss.

We don't know what the user's issue is yet.

dg

No Events found!