Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 2nd, 2012 05:00

The Windows 7 key has erased from the laptop bottom.. Can i get a new one???

Hi Customer care,

My laptop Tag is  Service tag removed per privacy policy>.. It is a Dell Inspiron I3 core 1564 model. I bought it 3 yrs back.. The warranty  is over already. No issues with that!!!:emotion-1:

I have formated the operating system before, and i could install it using the "WINDOWS 7" disc without any key. But now the same DISK has crashed and is unusable.. Since i have paid for the operating system when i bought the laptop.  

1)  "I WONDER CAN I DOWNLOAD THE WINDOWS 7 PREMIUM FROM MICROSOFT OR DELL WEBSITE AND USE IT THE SAME WAY AS I USED THE DISK WITHOUT ANY KEY"

"OR "

2) DO I HAVE TO GET A KEY AND CAN THE DELL PROVIDE ME THE KEY AGAIN, because that key has already erased from the LAPTOP..I guess i should get the key irrespective of the warranty???? 

thank you.. PLease reply :)

1 Message

December 2nd, 2012 06:00

Same problem

December 2nd, 2012 10:00

@ravi

did u approach Dell Customer Service on there TOLL FREE??

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

December 2nd, 2012 15:00

In your case A Dell Reinstallation DVD must be used. This should not prompt for a product key and when installed via the Dell BIOS a Dell SLP key will be used and automatically activated. This Dell SLP key is a generic key that will be the same on all Dell Systems with that specific version of Windows. The key doesn't depend on your hard drive.

Unfortunately it isn't so easy to get a Dell Reinstallation DVD, see my poll here.

See my wiki A Clean Install of Windows 7 Step 3a for instructions in requesting one and the rest of the wiki for installation instructions.

If your Optical Drive has crashed also you can copy the Dell Reinstalaltion DVD to a USB (using another computer) following my instructions Convert your Windows 7 Reinstallation DVD to a Dell Windows 7 Reinstallation USB and the Dell Reinstallation USB you create will work in the same manner.

No Events found!