Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 13th, 2009 10:00

There Will be Windows Seven Drivers for Dell Inspiron 1520?

Somebody could say if will be windows seven drivers for a dell notebook inspiron 1520? Vista drivers should work on win seven?... I really hope so. regards!

2 Posts

May 13th, 2009 11:00

you are rigth. Thanks for the answer

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 13th, 2009 11:00

The Vista drivers should work.  However, if Dell does issue Windows 7 drivers, it will probably be closer to the full Retail release of Windows 7 or even after the official release for some models that they will support, from what I remember about drivers being released when Vista came out.  However, don't look for Dell to support all models with Windows 7 drivers; keep in mind Dell is in the business of selling new PC's.

3 Posts

October 16th, 2009 09:00

How about Inspiron 1520 32-bit Vista upgrades to 64-bit Windows 7? Possible? Do I need to search for the 64-bit hardware device drivers in order to make my Windows 7 b4-bit works? Thanks in advance!

6 Posts

October 27th, 2009 15:00

I am using Windows 7 64bit on my Inspiron 1520 right now, without any problems.  Most of the drivers are included with Windows 7.  Only a few others are needed, 1)  graphics card, 2) Ricoh R5C833 media card reader, 3) Synaptics TouchPad

Graphics Driver

If you have Intel graphics, the drivers are found here: Intel Download Center
Product Family: Graphics
Product Line: Laptop Graphics Controllers
Product Name: Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family
Operating System: Windows 7, 64-bit

If you have nVidia graphics, the drivers are found here: nVidia Drivers
Product Type: GeForce
Product Series: GeForce 8M Series (Notebooks)
Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Media Card Reader Drivers

If you clean install Windows 7, you'll notice that there are some unknown devices in the Device Manager (Other Devices with a yellow question mark next to them).  These are for the the Ricoh Media R5C833 card reader built into the side of the laptop.  Drivers can be found straight from Dell (listed for another laptop): Dell Search for R234107 (or search dell yourself for R234107).

The file is R234107. When you run it, it will extract the driver to a directory of your choosing. You can either continue with graphical installation (I did not try this), or install the drivers manually in the device manager (this works well).

Synaptics TouchPad

You can download official Synaptics TouchPad drivers directly from the Synaptics Download Page.  I had some trouble with the tap-zones in driver version 14.0.3, so if this is still the latest version posted, you might try some beta drivers from the LaptopVideo2Go forums.

3 Posts

October 28th, 2009 02:00

Thank you so much for the details! :emotion-21:

Antonio

219 Posts

November 1st, 2009 09:00

mdmower, here's the link  to obtain the R234107 Ricoh Vista/Win7 drivers.

about the Synaptics touchpad drivers, if you get them from the Synaptics web site, they are generic drivers while the ones from the Dell support site are Dell-OEM specific touchpad drivers  careful with that one or you may lose some customizations with these drivers.

6 Posts

November 1st, 2009 11:00

erpster05,

I prefer the search for R234107 since it brings up one result with "Ricoh Card Reader R5C833" in the title, whereas the direct link leads to a download page where the user hasn't a clue what they're getting (this is Dell's fault for not properly titling download pages).

While Synaptic's drivers are generic, I find there are FAR more options available in them than in the Dell OEM specific drivers.  Also, all of the options work correctly.  Frankly, the word "generic" is misleading (albeit technically correct) in the sense that Dell's drivers actually cripple Synaptics drivers to reduce their functionality.  The only hurdle that needs to be overcome in switching to Synaptic's generic drivers is that middle click needs to be done with tap-zones now, rather than simultaneously pressing the left and right mouse buttons.

1 Message

November 5th, 2009 21:00

Can't do a fresh Win7 install on my 1520.  It will not let me past the driver install section without the cirrect drivers.

6 Posts

November 5th, 2009 21:00

I can't imagine what "driver install section" you're referring to.  Are you using a legitimate copy of Windows 7?  Are you trying to install RAID drivers, and if so why?

1 Message

November 10th, 2009 02:00

Hi, basically i have a very wierd problem with my laptop. It is also an inspiron 1520. i have upgraded from a vista 32 bit to windows 7 32 bit and have found that my usb ports are not working. on device manager it has an exclamation mark on it and so i chose th option to updat the drivers online but it said it already had the latest drivers possible. so none of my usb ports are working and i think my bluetooth aint working either. someone help me.

184 Posts

November 11th, 2009 12:00

habibxxl,

Thank you for contacting the Dell Community Forum.  You may want to download the latest version of the Intel Matrix Storage Manager <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> drivers from support.dell.com, extract those drivers to a USB flash drive, and try the install again.  I've seen the error message you described before, and it's usually resolved by installing the latest storage controller drivers.

2 Posts

November 11th, 2009 12:00

Hello,

I have the same problem,

I have a 1520 bios revision A9, cpu T8300 at 2,4 Ghz with 4 Gb of ram, 250 GB hdd,

when I try to instal after the part with - windows is loading files... -  the laguage selection... I clik  "install now" button after that  a select driver to be install window appears and the error message  "A required CD/DVD device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD or USB flash drive, please insert it now. Note: If the Windows installation media is in the CD/DVD drive, you can safely remove it for this step"  I have 3 buttons Browse ok and cancel. I put on the usb stick some drivers from dell site for ata but i receve a message: "the intel.... device driver could not be installed. Contact your vendor for an updated driver"

in the bios i chance at "SATA Operation" from ATA to AHCI and back

so i'm stuck here

pls help me...

habib

2 Posts

November 12th, 2009 08:00

hello DELL-Chris Bu

Thanks for you answer me so soon
I did what you said and I received the following error:

"The {INTEL(R) ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller (G:\iaAHCI.inf)} device driver could not be installed. Contact your vendor for an updatet driver."

I forgot to mention that Windows 7 is on 64 bit.

I think Intel should be producing 64 bit drivers for the controller

Tnx

2 Posts

December 19th, 2009 08:00

Hi everyone

I've recently passed from vista-32bit to win 7-64bit on my inspiron 1520.

Everything is working fine (i've already downloaded and installed card reader, graphic card, quickset and synaptic) but i still can't install my bluetooth card.

I've downloaded the dell driver for vista-64bit, that should be compatible, and the broadcom installer too but both don't work.

The broadcom installer and the dell drive ask me to swich-on the device (or plug-in the usb) and the dell drive moreover tells me that i can do it using fn+F2.

I've already checked the BIOS and the bluetooth is enabled. I've installed quickset and it says that ther's no keys combination for fn+F2 (that's why it didn't work).

Have someone idea how to solve my problem or someone already solved it?

Thanks a lot and forgive my english.

6 Posts

December 19th, 2009 15:00

The broadcom installer and the dell drive ask me to swich-on the device

Try the utility offered at this dell support page to enable the bluetooth radio.

No Events found!