Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 19th, 2013 08:00

This Copy of Windows Is Not Genuine - Windows 7 Build 7601 - Need Legitmate Restore OS Windows 7

Hi Gang

theflash helped me here a few weeks ago as I was looking for a restore disc to reformat a new Optiplex 790 Mini Tower. I am the legal owner of this machine, (with applicable warranty). This machine has a Product Key For W7 Pro.

MAKE NO MISTAKE - I DO NOT WANT:  A Data-Restore-Back-Up Disc. < I DO NOT WANT THIS DISC FROM DELL.  I'm an experienced  user, and need to start from scratch, loading the neccessary drivers.

I'm trying to avoid filling out the Dell form online. I guess I got burnt; I bought an OEM copy, (as suggested here on the forum): http://www.ebay.com/itm/230900417005 - Although it sure looks legit to me. I've looked around online to see if there's a fix for this to avoid formatting all over again. But I don't trust the fixes I see on U Tube. I was getting Dump Error messages. With some research, it looked like possibly incompatible RAM, (although I added GENUINE DELL RAM = 4 GB'S = 8 Total). I took the added RAM out, now I'm seeing the message lower right corner:  Windows 7 Build 7601 - This copy of Windows Is Not Genuine.

BTW  - I never got a prompt to actually activate W7  - It sez: Status Not Available  - Product ID Not Available

Any ideas?

I'm willing to start all over again.

Thanx

Mike

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 19th, 2013 09:00

Hi Mike!  Why are you avoiding the Dell form for replacement media?  If the disk you got on eBay is a fake, altered, or damaged, I would take that up with the seller, but assuming the disc is legit, it should be just like one you get from Dell (again, Dell sends a clean (minus OEM branding) Windows installation disc, not a DataSafe recovery disc), and it should not require activation.  The problem you experienced is more about shady media/seller than a problem inherent in using OEM media.

Legit users of OEM or Retail-installed can experience the "Genuine" message, but it can usually be cleared up by fixing file/file system corruption (chkdsk /r, sfc /scannow), online activation using the Product Key on your COA, or activating over the phone with Microsoft (2-3 minute automated call).

If you are having problems with activation of the OEM key or with OEM media, there may be other problems ... from where did you get your 790?  Are you certain it was not altered (COA, BIOS, or motherboard) by the previous owner?

The only good reason for avoiding the form for requesting media is if you are not registered with Dell as the official owner.  This can be done using this form:

www.dell.com/.../IdentifySystem

Your only other option (whether you want to simply bypass OEM licensing or if you suspect your system/COA has been altered so as to render the license useless) is to purchase a Retail license ... but if there is nothing wrong with your system/license, it makes little sense to spend money on a license that you already have.

One other thing ... is the COA for SP1 or pre-SP1?  Is the media SP1 or pre-SP1?

January 19th, 2013 10:00

Hi flash

No, Dell did not charge me - I just hope the system won't crash before I get the real Mc Coy

Hi again flash

This machine is perfectly Legit  - Brand New Unopened Box - I am now the New owner with warranty until 2015. Unlike others, this seller was perfectly Legit - a reliable Ebayer.

"Are you certain it was not altered (COA, BIOS, or motherboard) by the previous owner?"  The COA is difinitely for W7 Pro SP1 64 Bit - This machine is spanking brand new. As I stated: I never got a prompt to actually activate W7  - It sez: Status Not Available  - Product ID Not Available

I suspect there was a curruption in the OEM Disc I bought on Ebay.

http://www.locationstudio.net/cannot-repair.jpg < Screen Shot

"it can usually be cleared up by fixing file/file system corruption (chkdsk /r, sfc /scannow), online activation using the Product Key on your COA, or activating over the phone with Microsoft (2-3 minute automated call)."

Have had enough aggravation - how exactly do I accomplish that? I've read too many wierd fixes online. I do appreciate your help.

In the meantime, I just got off the phone with Dell, and they are sending me an OS Disc based upon my COA.

Mike

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

This machine is perfectly Legit  - Brand New Unopened Box - I am now the New owner with warranty until 2015. Unlike others, this seller was perfectly Legit - a reliable Ebayer.

"Are you certain it was not altered (COA, BIOS, or motherboard) by the previous owner?"  The COA is difinitely for W7 Pro SP1 64 Bit - This machine is spanking brand new. As I stated: I never got a prompt to actually activate W7  - It sez: Status Not Available  - Product ID Not Available

Just wanted to make sure ... we see a lot of that too - motherboards replaced with generics (which do not work with the keys/media), COA's taken off of other machines, etc.  Activation can be kicked off from the command line if not from the System Properties window.  The fact that it shows as "not available" indicates that the files responsible for the activation status are missing or corrupt (can also be a sign of altered media).

"it can usually be cleared up by fixing file/file system corruption (chkdsk /r, sfc /scannow), online activation using the Product Key on your COA, or activating over the phone with Microsoft (2-3 minute automated call)."

Have had enough aggravation - how exactly do I accomplish that? I've read too many wierd fixes online. I do appreciate your help.

If Dell is sending you an installation disc, then I wouldn't even bother going through the added aggravation trying to fix it.  I agree ... I suspect the install disc you got was bad.

In the meantime, I just got off the phone with Dell, and they are sending me an OS Disc based upon my COA.

Did they charge you?  Since Dell does not post a hard and fast policy to which they hold themselves accountable, we are constantly trying to piece together what customers might expect.

No Events found!