Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 21st, 2010 07:00

Trying to install new Microsoft Office Trial Version

Hello All,

I just recently purchased my very first personal computer and before I went ahead and started working with Microsoft's newest Office edition, I thought I'd do as much work and research on the older versions as possible. Unfortunately, I've never had to install anything before so I'm not sure where to start. Do I need to uninstall the older version that I've been practicing on before I install the trial Version? I am completely new to this whole computer thing and I don't want to make a mistake and mess up my computer!!

Could somebody please help me???

14.4K Posts

November 21st, 2010 11:00

iirc if you try installing office 2010 with 2007 already installed on the hdd then the installer should be aware of the older version and delete it.

I personally like to uninstall in control panel>program & features before installing newer software.

3.7K Posts

November 22nd, 2010 04:00

There is not a big lot of difference between the 2007 version of Office, and the 2010 version, so I would not bother.

159 Posts

November 22nd, 2010 12:00

However maybe There is not a big difference between 2007 version and 2010 version, but its better than 2007. Office 2010 has many more options.  So if you have both of them, install the 2010 version.
As i know Office is not upgradeable to the newer versions. So you should firstly uninstall previous version of Office and install new one.

4 Posts

November 28th, 2010 08:00

Hello,

I am not sure if you were being a little sarcastic in your response to me or not, but I wanted to say "Thank you" for your response to my question. Your answer was helpful. I do, however, have another question if you wouldn't answering. If I were to have the Microsoft Works program on my computer, would I still need to unistall it before I installed the 2010 version or would the newer version cancel out the Works version? As I stated before, I am new to the whole computer world, so I am slowly trying to learn how to be able to navigate, troubleshoot, download/install, and do everything else through my own personal computer.

Patience is greatly appreciated

4 Posts

November 28th, 2010 09:00

Wow!! Thank you so much for answering my question!! I really appreciate all of your help. That last message that I just posted was not for you!! But this one is for BACILLUS, thank you so much!!

4 Posts

Hello,

Thank you for responding to my post. I really appreciated you giving me your personal opinion regarding the difference between the 2007 and 2010 version of Office and why YOU would not bother to install one or the other. I, on the other hand, would like to have the newer version installed on to my computer. That is why I submitted my post asking for a little assistance on how I should go about getting that done. Unfortunately, I am not a computer genius such as your self, so every bit of assistance provided is greatly appreciated because I am still learning how to use my personal computer.

Again, I thank you for your response and in the future, if I need a second opinion on a computer issue that I am having, I will ask you.

Thank you

This message is for RobinBredin

14.4K Posts

From past experience, I would uninstall Works prior to installing the office package to avoid niggling problems.

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

November 28th, 2010 13:00

I'm late to this thread, but I want to make sure you know that you do not have the latest trial version of Office on your new computer. The Starter version that all computers are shipped with is NOT the trial version. It is an ad supported, limited version of just Word and Excel. It does not expire as the Trial version does and does not need to be activated. It might fit your needs if you are a home user but it is very limited. So before you uninstall anything, check it out by using the shortcut on your Desktop or in the All Programs list.  You do not need to install anything to try it. It is already installed.  Read more about the Starter Version HERE.

No Events found!