Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

October 26th, 2016 16:00

USB Devices not recognised on R320

I have a Dell R320 server that has suddenly stopped recognising USB devices in Windows Server 2012 R2

USB still works Ok at the boot/BIOS level so I don't think it is hardware, I can press F2 and get into the System Setup and use the keyboard OK.

But when the OS is up, the USB ports stop working as devices are not detecting correctly in device manager.  I have since deleted and redetected the USB hub devices, reboot, removed all external USB devices completely and still getting devices as failed.  They appear to be coming from the iDRAC as they disappear and reappear when the iDRAC is restarted.

I am confident if I fix this iDRAC device issue, then my external USB devices will also detect again.  Tech support have suggested installing the latest Chipset driver, but I don't think this is the problem as there were no problems about a month ago.

Any other thoughts on what I can do before I go rebooting a production system again unnecessarily? :emotion-4:

9.4K Posts

October 27th, 2016 09:00

Hi HuggaBounce,

Thanks for posting.

Have you updated the BIOS? Here's the link.  

I found some information regarding the iDRAC and recommendations to update that as well. Here's the link.

Hope this helps.

37 Posts

October 27th, 2016 17:00

Hi Robert

I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Yes, the system has all updates from SUU 16.06, including BIOS 2.4.2 and iDRAC 2.30.30.30 applied very recently, but everything was working fine after applying (I know because I was at the physical console and using an external USB keyboard/mouse to do the updates).

Something has happened between then and now and I don't know what, as I have not done any other changes or updates to Dell software or Windows OS since.

I don't know why iDRAC would be trying to attach a device called "Keyboard" or "Mouse" when I have disconnected mine.  Maybe they are virtual keyboard/mouse, but I don't use the virtual console (I'm not even licensed for it I don't think!).  I have no idea what EP1 and EP2 are in an iDRAC, if I knew I might be able to narrow the problem down, but tech support just keep saying to call Microsoft :-/

I'm certainly going to check SUU 16.10 and see if there is anything new I can apply (see a new iDRAC has been released too, it's worth a shot I guess).  Scheduling another outage for next week :(

9.4K Posts

October 31st, 2016 10:00

Let me contact someone who is more versed in servers than I.  

37 Posts

October 31st, 2016 22:00

Thanks Robert,

I have an outage scheduled for a few hours tonight.  I will check out what happens in safe mode, and apply the latest SUU and chipset driver (as suggested by tech support).  Maybe something will "reinstall" and come good.

Once I know more I will update you.

• 

8.4K Posts

November 1st, 2016 08:00

HuggaBounce,

It sounds like the USB ports are disabled, when they are disabled the USB will work through POST, and then will stop afterwards. Which sounds a lot like what is occurring. Within the BIOS (F2 at startup) under Integrated Devices, you should see that the User Accessible USB Ports's are enabled or disabled? If disabled then go ahead and enable them. Reboot and see if they function.

If not then then the issue is likely driver based.

Let me know what you find.

37 Posts

November 1st, 2016 23:00

Thanks Chris

A disabled USB in the BIOS would have been too simple :-P  I checked the setting anyway and it was enabled.  In my device manager screenshot earlier, the USB controller/hubs are all OK in device manager collapsed tree.  If i reboot the iDRAC, the devices go and reappear, so USB must be "seeing" something.

Safe mode revealed nothing, the issue did not alleviate in Safe mode.   I was unable to log in via RDP in safe mode to check the device manager status or do anything (stupid me forgot I would lose RDP connectivity in safe mode and I spent a good chunk of my time just recovering to normal mode).  Maybe I'll try again next week; it must be something to do with Windows as external keyboard/mouse were also fine in Windows recovery mode.

Updated the Chipset and iDRAC firmware version and no change.  No surprise really.  I'm concluding it is most likely a Windows patch has broken something, as I discovered I also cannot mount ISOs or do System State backups anymore.  I tried uninstalling a couple of recent patches dealing with VSS and USB and no change.  I always check I can log into the console after every Windows update so I'm not convinced it is the issue, but I need to try something I guess  A good hard look at the logs next and have to consider either a reinstall or call to Microsoft (an expense I don't want just yet if its as stupid as a flipped registry value).  

37 Posts

November 9th, 2016 02:00

Further to this thread, it seems my issue mounting ISO's and System State backups is related to the USB devices not working.  

Any dynamically added device fails to correctly identify a driver and  start.  I realized this when trying to diagnose the System State problem, a new device (something like Microsoft_VHD_ISO_VHBA_01) would be created in Other Devices at the point where the backup fails ("A virtual disk support provider for the specified file was not found").

I'm at a loss to understand why the devices aren't finding a driver (code 28).  Even if I select a driver manually, it fails to start correctly (code 10).  Even basic USB keyboard which Windows has built-in drivers for fail.   sfc /scannow has not helped.

So I'm probably going to call Microsoft since it's affecting a broader range of issues.   I'm thinking I might remove all recent Windows Updates though, just to be sure.  

I'd like some advice on how I should proceed with a backup though, since I can't use Windows Backup or USB while the OS is running (booting an OS from DVD everything is fine).  Any ideas of good Dell or 3rd party tools to make an image before I mess around more?  It's a Windows Essentials server, so running AD etc, and I don't want to lose the system.  

I'm also looking for opinion of whether a doing an in-place upgrade to Server 2016 might be a possible solution?

37 Posts

November 22nd, 2016 19:00

I've managed to "resolve" my problem.  For those interested, here's a rundown of how I did it.

I installed a trial version of a 3rd party utility to backup and restore the system partition to a VirtualBox guest in a test environment, to prove it wasn't hardware and to mess around offline.

I began uninstalling all recent patches and found the only recent one I could not uninstall was KB3172614 - "July 2016 update rollup".  On reboot when the uninstall change is applied, I'd get a "Failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes" message.  But magically, everything started working…  USB storage, mouse, keyboard, ISO mounts, System State backups, everything that was broken…   What's going on?  I'm sure it's not the patch release itself that's breaking my server, since it was installed weeks ago with no problems.  There's also no dependencies on this patch.  

Inspecting the patch file list, I saw it included system file Hidclass.sys which made me think that this was a possible relationship.  The file does exist on my live server, but when I compare SxS locations and Drivercache to a working system, the associated input.inf is missing from c:\windows\inf.  What appears to happen is that Windows update can't find any "uninstall" versions to put back, and in the process of reverting the uninstall action, actually recovers the missing file from the drivercache.  

It's likely other files were missing too to contribute to the problem.  Seemingly, this patch (by chance) is restoring and re-registering something internally that became corrupt as restoring the .inf by hand doesn't help.  A missing Windows .inf could explain the Code 10 and Code 28 too.

I can't say why the SxS previous versions are missing for this patch, but I expect this is why the uninstall fails.  Chkdsk is clean too but I'm running a consistency check on the RAID1 volume now.  So I say my problem is "resolved" because now the patch is still installed, but has incorrect file versions and can't be removed and can't be reapplied.  Oddly, dism or sfc do not find any issues.  I'll tackle this separately to get the fixes this patch is meant to supply, but for now I'm up and running normally again.

No Events found!